Old 05-30-2017, 08:41 PM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

The poppy pin I made my hubby was mostly received with confusion today... and he wore it to the VA hospital! People asked what it was, what it was for, said they never heard of a poppy representing the fallen.... The ignorance is staggering.

In England it's so common, and I know in Australia too. And we've heard that they do it in NZ and Canada... so it's a British thing. Everywhere under the Queen... But I remember the paper poppies here too when I was a kid. You give a few pennies to someone collecting for the American Legion and they gave you the paper poppy to wear. Americans seem to have forgotten the poppy and what it stands for. One guy even asked my husband if he was advocating for opium use! Can you imagine how stupid????

ANYWAY, Quilting Vagabond, can't leave this thread without saying how amazing your quilt center turned out. I don't even know how you managed to find all those colors so perfectly shaded. And your piecing is to die for. Mine will never look like that!

Goodnight all, and I'm happy we all remembered what this holiday was about. Thank you Raggiemom, for the thread. I always enjoy it so much.