Thread: Memories.....
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 05:29 AM
Endora

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Knew all but 2 Ditter.....great thread! They truly were the good ole days, weren't they. I remember the doctor coming to the house when you were sick and, if it didn't require a doctor, Mom knew how to cure everything else. Our clothes were washed in a wringer washer and hung to dry. Clothes were ironed. We knew our parents loved us but they didn't spend every waking hour entertaining us. What we heard was, "Find something to do.!" or "Go outside and play!"...which is probably why those of our age are so independent. Saturday was movie day and we walked over a mile to the theater and for a quarter saw 2-3 cartoons, a newsreel and a double feature of first run films. We use to collect pop bottles and turn them in for a nickel a piece and when we reached a quarter we could get a double decker ice cream cone, a comic book and a Reese cup. We lived in the city but didn't have a car until I was in high school. Dad took the bus to work. I really did walk a mile to grade school, a mile home for lunch, a mile back to school and a mile home in the afternoon. We wore blue bloomers in gym class. We dressed up to go downtown...no jeans, no shorts, no hair in curlers, no flip flops.
Doctor house-calls, I do remember, and wringer washing machines are still something I love to stop and look at whenever I pass one.

Playtime is definitely something kids nowadays do not get near enough of, and I remember walking everywhere, because mom and dad were poor, so the family car was reserved for necessary use only.

Also, I remember all of 4, maybe 5 channels being available on television, and there was no remote controls, a unlike today where every kid you pass is sucking on a soda, we seldom got to enjoy such treats, and we were healthier or it.

Another I remember vividly, is women out shopping - sporting curlers in their hair, sometimes even wearing plastic shower caps over, and sometimes in their fluffy slippers. Yes, times really have changed.