Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Memories.....

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'
    'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
    'All the food was slow.'
    'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you eat?'
    'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained. !
    'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10.
    It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 pm, after playing the national anthem and an epilogue; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a week. He had to get up at 6AM every morning.

Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the films. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grand children Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
    Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:
    My Dad is cleaning out my grand mother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it... I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea.. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
    Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
    Ignition switches on the dashboard.
    Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
    Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
    Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators.
    >
    Older Than Dirt Quiz:
    Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about.
    Ratings at the bottom.

1.. Sweet cigarettes
    2. Coffee shops with juke boxes
    3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
    4. Party lines on the telephone
    5. Newsreels before the movie
    6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.. (There were only 2 channels [if you were fortunate])
    7. Peashooters
    8. 33 rpm records
    9. 45 RPM records
    10. Hi-fi's
    11. Metal ice trays with levers
    12. Blue flashbulb
    13. Cork popguns
    14. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You’re still young
    If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
    If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age
    If you remembered 11-14 = You're positively ancient!

I must be 'positively ancient' but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
    Especially to all your really OLD friends....I just did!!!!!!!!!

I was raised on a remote farm so I know 11 of them and I am 51. I have washed a LOT of clothes on a wringer washer and hung them out to Freeze so we could bring them in a few at a time and hang them around the house to dry.
    Thanks Ditter!

Well I remember 13 of these.... Thanks for the memories. I wish it was still like that some times!!

I too was raised back in the 50's and remember all but the very first one. Neither of my parents smoked so didn't know there was such a thing as sweet cigarettes, but all the others brought back a lot of memories.

Well I'm positively ancient according to that test. This brought back lots of memories of how it was and even though I realized later as a grownup that we were really poor when I was young I never went without a meal, always had a roof over my head, clothes to wear and quilts to sleep under in the winter and never missed the things we didn't have. Always had something to do and never said "I'm bored."

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Ditter.

mltquilt

Blog Entries
    I remember 8 of them and don't consider myself to be that old! :shock: :lol:

Dont you wish it could be like that again. I;m a poor country girl[50] so I remember alot of them

Those were the days.........Michele

Boy - that brings back memories!!!! I lived that era, too.

reminds me....2 weeks ago I went to Walmart....sporting section, and asked where the "pants leg clip for when you ride a bike".....I wanted them to clip the top layer on the quilting machine. The girl looked at me blankly, had no idea what I was talking about. She called a manager over....they both looked at me blankly. I said "never mind, you're too young"...ROL!!!! I'll bet they're still trying to figure it out!

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh no Ditter, I knew all but one. It was the sweet cigs, but then neither one of my parents smoked. So of course I wouldn't know about them. Life was simpler then, you didn't want to dishonor your parents, because they were your parents and you loved them and you knew they were right, now the kids think they have to prove they know more than the parents and parents are so stupid. I remember thinking things like that but I knew if I ever voiced that there would be some big trouble. Didn't know what the trouble would be, but knew I didn't want to know. Thanks for the memories...

Blog Entries
    I remember 12 of them, so I guess I am "ancient" too :D:D:D

I remembred all but the one - sweet cigs - both my parents smoked but never heard of those.

Blog Entries
    From an ancient friend. Or, perhaps a young friend who listened well at relatives knees. Thanks for sharing.

Oh I knew it, I am soooooo (positively) ancient LOL
    I don't know sweet cigarettes (we did have menthol flavoured),
    And our TV ( we got the first when I was 13) had only 1 station, and we could watch it from 19.00 - 22.00 , plus a childrens program on wednesday afternoon)

But...oh dear... I even remember the milkman from the time before milk was in glas bottles! eeekkk. LOL The milk was stored in large milk barrels (? The type the farmers used when they were still milking by hand).
    Woman came to his cart with a pot, that as called a milk cooker, it had a special shape and a lid with holes in it.
    The milkman messured 1/2 or 1 liter milk or buttermilk. After some time a layer of cream formed on the milk.
    Yep, I really am ancient.
    Gosh, I love the memories, thanks for bringing them back

Blog Entries
    Positively ancient here...seems like those things were a poart of our lives not that long ago...my oldest granddaughter, aged 10 finds it hard to believe we once cooked without a microwave :)

Well I am ancient since I remember them all, but I am ok with that. My father used to say we are not getting older we are only getting better.

Banned
    remember the lot--------older than dirt, thanks Ditter.

Always had something to do and never said "I'm bored."

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Ditter.

mltquilt[/quote]

If you were smart you never said "I'm bored" around MY mom. She could find all kinds of things for you to do, very little of it fun!! Good thing too, I guess, I know how to clean house and never get bored!!!

"If you were smart you never said "I'm bored" around MY mom. She could find all kinds of things for you to do, very little of it fun!! Good thing too, I guess, I know how to clean house and never get bored!!![/quote]"

Same here, you never dared to say you were bored at our house. If Mom didn't find something for you to do, she kicked you outside!

I am such an old soul!!!!
    I am 35, and I cn remember 8 of those things, and it is so funny because I still have my favorite "ice trays" with the levers, I reember listening to the TV stations going of the air and only being able to get 2 or 3 stations ABC and CBS, and a fuzzy PBS or NBC on an antena and I remember when cable ws 15$ a month for 20 or so channels. I remember rotary phones,and not being able to afford a phone because it was a convenience, I remember borrowing records from the library to listen to, and playing with 33 and 45 lol to make them sound chipmunk like.When I was 7 nieghbors next to us had a dairy farm and gave us milk cream and butter for 1.25/ gal and breaking the glass jug and having to pay an extra dollar, also the wonderful garden and the bags of zucchini and tomatoes, and even though we had fast food it was a once a month treat to go to Micky D's, How times have changed and not for the better....
    I am out of work and relly not healthy enough to work and I feel bad because my kids asked why does Santa bring other kids video games and such... My explanation well Santa brngs a few things but parent who have more money are able to go out and buy more...
    Going out to eat.... I learn how to make special stuff at home...When my kids look back I hope they remember like I do, it is not about quantitee but QUALITYjust like home made quilts :).
    Love and Bless to you all sorry so long winded (hug)

I remember 10 of them and I'm 42 ...

Blog Entries
    Yep, I too am in the positively ancient category, all 14! Sad, isn't it?

What about no tissues, no disposable nappies/diapers, no babygrows (one piece with poppas down the front to fasten) no plastic buckets/ bowls.

OMG!!! I forgot the best Memory YET!!!
    THE RINGER WASHER!!!
    When I was 9ish we lived on the 3rd floor and Dad got Mom a ringer washer, ok this is 1985. So I helped do laundry, and I have long long hair at the time and this happened twice in 5 years and both times, I would calmly call my mother, Mom, MOm, MOM!, LOL well I did not know about the release as my hair wrapped around the ringer... AND She just stood there and laughed at me, because I was so calm about it!
    Not to mention if I dropped something out that third floor window I had to run all the way down and back up those stairs rinse out, usually socks LOL... Before I was caught not being careful.
    You know what is really funny my MIL, took a picture when she came to visit once after she hung out clothes. I had a pully system which she used like a standing line...
    Upon asking her why she informed me she never hung clothes before and she was proud of it???
    I guess she never had to but I miss hanging out clothes as I am in a community where clothes lines are frowned upon???? I dunno but that ringer wsher left an impression on me! <3

I remember all but the sweet cigarettes.

I scored an 11. I remember the milkman put the glass bottles in the milkbox outside our door and on really cold mornings the cream and butterfat would swell and push the cap off the bottle (now we have to drink 1%, yuk!)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast