Thread: Machine binding
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 03:13 AM
rryder

When I want to machine bind both sides I use a couple of tools that Martelli makes. You sew binding on front first, using their Foot which has a fence you set for your seam width. Then you flip the binding over to the back and pin it so it covers the stitch line you made when putting it on the front (I use wonder clips since I think they work better than pins or the Zip clips that comes with the Martelli binding tools. Then you attach the Martelli binding tool to your quilt and binding---you hold it in your hand while you stitch and it holds the binding at exactly the right place so you can stitch in the ditch from the front and catch the binding on the back. Once you've got the binding tool set, you adjust the fence on the foot to help keep your stitches in the ditch.

There is a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it really speeds things up and also produces machine stitched bindings that look good. I use this system for all my quilts now, unless they are going to be entered in quilt competitions.

Rob