Thread: Self made kits
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Feathers-N-Fur

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
When I was in a guild, we did this for donation quilts. We had a big cabinet of donated fabric, and there were some people who just created kits (we had a bunch of basic patterns available). The kits were put in numbered plastic bags, and you would sign out your kit from the list. This way there was some inventory control. The bags and numbers were reused as completed kits were returned.

Some people just made pieces for kits - for example, one pattern was alternating squares and 4-patches, so sometimes people would just sit down and make a huge stack of 4-patches to put into the kits. Some people didn't like doing the quilting, so you weren't forced to do it - you could just return the completed tops, and people that enjoyed quilting would do that part.

I found that the kits were really nice; you could choose your favourite bit of making a quilt, and just do that rather than being responsible for every step from beginning to end. We got a huge number of donation quilts completed, so I think it was a successful approach!
This sounds like a great way of doing it. I gives the "sewers" some choices. I personally don't care for easy, mindless sewing. I like a challenge. Others love mindless sewing after a hard work day.