Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Self made kits >

Self made kits

Self made kits

Old 06-24-2017, 01:03 PM

Default Self made kits

A number of us in the guild I belong to have an abundance of scraps we want to use in donation quilts. We would like to put together kits for other guild members to assemble and then donate the quilts back to the places we as a guild support. Some of us like to cut, others like to sew etc and by combining our efforts we feel we could make more donation quilts than if everyone just did it on their own. It might also be fun to be able to make something with someone else's fabric since we often get tired of our own fabric stash.

We are pondering as to how pull this off. We would like to do something more than quilts made out of 5" squares. Several members have die cutters that can be used. We were thinking along the lines of quilt as you go method because that would also let us use more scraps for backing and make it easier for those with smaller throat machines to be able to quilt the quilt comfortably. We only have one member who has a long-arm and she is on inactive status due to a change in her jobs. The kit would contain everything needed to complete the quilt with the exception of thread. It would be bagged with fabric for front, back and batting all cut and ready to assemble along with instructions.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? I'm looking for suggestions for patterns, who chooses patterns and any other logistical/management type issues that need to be addressed.

Suggestions needed and welcomed! Thanks.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:36 PM

You might want to be sure the members all want to do QAYG. Not everyone does. You might want to consider making kits of different patterns for members to choose from. Some quilters like sewing together a bunch of 5" squares and others prefer more of a challenge. I like your idea though.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Thumbs up

Many donation places take tops and will quilt the quilt. If you add backing and or batting that would help tremendously of course.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-24-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:31 PM

Our guild's group Cuddle Quilts, does something like what you described. About every 6 months, we have a kit building workshop. The fabrics are sorted by theme: kids, oriental, panels, florals. Then coordinating fabrics are added. A pattern is chosen, usually it's pretty simple, pieces are usually bigger than 4" squares or 1/2 square triangles and 1 direction is less than 42". Someone acts as color/fabric coordinator. Finished size is determined. Backing is pulled out first. The fabrics are cut into pieces for the pattern. If anyone wants to do start to finish, the kits include instructions, front pieces, backing, batting and binding.

Last edited by petthefabric; 06-24-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

Great idea .... and might inspire some into participating that would not get around to it otherwise.

However, just as you said, some of you like cutting, some like sewing, etc.
............ and some will be turned off with being given a kit, with no freedom for their own twists.

Of course, they do not have to participate!!
.... though we all know, some will whine and grumble, and find all sorts of fault about the kits.
Eg. not cut precisely, # pieces counted wrong, missing parts, don't like the pattern, fabric does not coordinate ..... etc. So be prepared for the Negative Nellies, and don't let them ruin your efforts.

Other ideas, than sewing the 5" squares together, that you mentioned .....
There are a lot of patterns made with 2-1/2" strips, that are easy to make, yet create beautiful quilts.
The old standby, Warm Wishes would work well for kitting.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:12 PM

I did this with my "Windows" pattern with our church group. We cut big squares for the back of the quilt and smaller squares for the front of the quilt. Coordinated fabrics and put what a person would need to make one row with (including batting squares), in a bag. We passed the bags out. The ladies sewed their rows and brought them back, and other ladies took them home and sewed the rows together. I called it the "Stone Soup Quilt Project." I'll try to post a picture later. I've been called to dinner.

Last edited by quiltedsunshine; 06-24-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Trying to add a picture
Old 06-24-2017, 05:55 PM

You might also want a guild presentation & class on quilting on a DSM.

My guild has several designs our coordinator has put together. Our coordinator & her helpers put together the packages with the pattern and materials needed for the top Memebers then take them home to make the tops.

My church related group has a blessings day each month where the rest of the work on their quilts can be done. This groups makes very small quilts for the NICU. Lots of lap quilts are made as well as larger quilts.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:28 PM

Here's a picture of a baby quilt done with the "Windows" pattern. It's done like "Fun and Done, but simplified.
Attached Thumbnails windows-minky-flanne.jpg  
Old 06-25-2017, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Very cute quilt, very bright pretty blocks.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:19 AM

I am just making a few kits for myself, as i will spend a few month away from home and have a sewing machine where I go to for the summer. As space is an issue when flying, i picked a few patterns i like to do, selected the fabric and did all the cutting.added the pattern and i am ready to go. In your case i would mark all pieces so the person that sews them, knows what she is doing. Hope this works for you.