Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Self made kits >

Self made kits

Self made kits

Old 06-26-2017, 07:51 AM

If you decide to attempt QAYG there are some real inspirations at this blog. This started by people donating 12 1/2" quilted blocks which were then assembled into donation quilts for orphanages. She has done well over 100 quilts this way and is still at it! It's a great way for people to use their orphan blocks, too.
http://littleislandquilting.blogspot...soy-amado.html
http://littleislandquilting.blogspot...thank-you.html
Old 06-26-2017, 09:03 AM

When I was in a guild, we did this for donation quilts. We had a big cabinet of donated fabric, and there were some people who just created kits (we had a bunch of basic patterns available). The kits were put in numbered plastic bags, and you would sign out your kit from the list. This way there was some inventory control. The bags and numbers were reused as completed kits were returned.

Some people just made pieces for kits - for example, one pattern was alternating squares and 4-patches, so sometimes people would just sit down and make a huge stack of 4-patches to put into the kits. Some people didn't like doing the quilting, so you weren't forced to do it - you could just return the completed tops, and people that enjoyed quilting would do that part.

I found that the kits were really nice; you could choose your favourite bit of making a quilt, and just do that rather than being responsible for every step from beginning to end. We got a huge number of donation quilts completed, so I think it was a successful approach!
Old 06-26-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
When I was in a guild, we did this for donation quilts. We had a big cabinet of donated fabric, and there were some people who just created kits (we had a bunch of basic patterns available). The kits were put in numbered plastic bags, and you would sign out your kit from the list. This way there was some inventory control. The bags and numbers were reused as completed kits were returned.

Some people just made pieces for kits - for example, one pattern was alternating squares and 4-patches, so sometimes people would just sit down and make a huge stack of 4-patches to put into the kits. Some people didn't like doing the quilting, so you weren't forced to do it - you could just return the completed tops, and people that enjoyed quilting would do that part.

I found that the kits were really nice; you could choose your favourite bit of making a quilt, and just do that rather than being responsible for every step from beginning to end. We got a huge number of donation quilts completed, so I think it was a successful approach!
This sounds like a great way of doing it. I gives the "sewers" some choices. I personally don't care for easy, mindless sewing. I like a challenge. Others love mindless sewing after a hard work day.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:13 PM

We do this. My sister makes kits for the guild she belongs to and includes the pattern (usually from Villa Rosa Designs). The quilt tops are returned and are quilted for the non-profit we are part of: Quilts From the Heart. Quilts From the Heart usually has a cutting party where we can cut kits or strips. We cut 2-1/2" strips last time since there are so many quilts for jelly rolls available. These kits are available for member to take and sew. Last year, QFTH was the recipient of a large stash. Several members made kits and included a Villa Rosa pattern for the quilt. We paid $2 for the kit which paid for the pattern. The top went back to QFTH and the quiltmaker kept the pattern. This might be incentive for members to take the quilt kit.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:04 PM

The guild I am in has made several donation quilts. I know a lot of people don't like to do QAYG. We make up kits to make a block. People sign them out and return them in a month or 2 depending on our timeline. We always pass out a few extras. Some never come back and some come back unusable. We did an Ohio Star 12 1/2 in blocks. A couple came back 10 inches. Different members like to do different steps. Someone usually assembles the blocks. I took all of the scraps and made a back. I used the lopsided and wrong sized blocks in the back. Someone else from the guild quilts it and someone else does the binding.
We have made numerous quilts for donation this way. I doesn't take much time to make just a block or 2. Making a whole quilt for donation sounds like so much work.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:35 PM

It sounds like a great idea but I agree that a variety of different quilts would be better. I have a longarm machine so I would not be interested in the quilt as you go kits. But many others might be. I think different patterns makes things more interesting. If I am not working on two or more items on and off. I become really bored. I look to have more information about this.