Old 07-01-2017, 05:20 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Default Making templates for a triangle in a square unit

1) Decide on the size to make them

2) Draw the three triangles "finished size" - I think it is easier to have the three templates than to remember to "reverse" one of the side triangles.

3) Add 1/4 seam allowance - the blue in the attachment. When adding seam allowance, use this method: Measuring

4) Cut the pieces apart - more or less on the red lines. Then glue the pieces to template plastic.

5) Then I cut the templates with a rotary cutter.

5) I punch 1/16 inch holes where the seam lines intersect. I mark the fabric with a pencil dot for matching the pieces.

The hole puncher: http://www.joann.com/fiskars-hand-pu...n/5066253.html

It makes some sense to lop off some of that long tail on the skinny triangles, but I have found it easier to leave at least 1/2 inch seam allowance there - and then trim it after the pieces are sewn together.

The paper can be removed from the template plastic. It makes it easier to see what one is cutting - especially if one is doing fussy-cutting.

6) Place the pieces in a labelled baggie or envelope so you can keep them together.

If any questions - please ask.

This method works for any block/unit.

P.S. Make sure your graph paper "is the same" in both directions before starting. I have had some that has been "off" a bit.
Attached Thumbnails colored.jpg   colored2.jpg   colored3.jpg  

Last edited by bearisgray; 07-01-2017 at 05:34 AM.