Old 07-12-2017, 09:46 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Those tips are very helpful, Stitch. Thanks!

Based in part on your tips, I decided not to try to modify a recipe right off the bat. This was undoubtedly a wise decision on my part. I made the "contest winning" black bean soup with canned beans, as per the recipe. It turned out good, but I realized that black bean soup tastes pretty much like black bean soup whether it is a prize winning recipe or not. Next time I'm going to use an Instant Pot recipe with dried black beans and just add the seasonings we like. I wore myself out yesterday afternoon chopping up stuff!

I made bone broth in the second pot. Haven't tasted it yet; went straight to the frig. It was easy to make, but I'm not sure from the aroma whether we will like it or not. Made it with beef bones from the market.

The Instant Pot is not exactly "instant", but I do like several things about it. (1) It is electric so I can set it and walk away. With my stovetop pressure cooker, I always stay close to make sure it doesn't overcook, somebody doesn't turn the gas flame up or down, etc. (2) It is many units in one. I like that I can saute in it, pressure cook in it, and use it as a slow cooker.

Won't have time to cook today. Have to think about what I might try tomorrow.