View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 11:50 AM
NatalieF

Default DIY silicone pin moors

Pin Moors cannot be found in my neck of the woods, and online, the prices are astronomical. I've been wracking my brain on how to make something similar that won't break the bank. I've tried the foam insulation tubes, but they don't grip the needle and wind up falling off. After some experimentation, I've found a solution.

I found caulking that was 100% silicone, which Pin Moors are silicone so I thought I'd give this a shot. Found some nice large drinking straws. I initially filled up an entire straw and was going to cut it after the silicone hardened inside. The issue with this is it would take an awfully long time and I wan't sure the center of the straw would ever set. So I cut the straws in approx 1" lengths. Set one end of the straw against a surface (in this case an old cardboard box) and fill. This can get messy. Tip the straws over on their sides to dry, otherwise you'll have to cut them away from the surface as the silicone will seal itself to it!

I gave them about a week to dry and voila! They are completely dry all the way inside and they really GRIP that pin! All in all, I was able to get approx 130 or so for less than $10 Canadian. So worth the bit of effort to make. Beware, you may have to do a few at a time as that caulking gun is hard on the hands!
Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg