Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DIY silicone pin moors

DIY silicone pin moors

Pin Moors cannot be found in my neck of the woods, and online, the prices are astronomical. I've been wracking my brain on how to make something similar that won't break the bank. I've tried the foam insulation tubes, but they don't grip the needle and wind up falling off. After some experimentation, I've found a solution.

I found caulking that was 100% silicone, which Pin Moors are silicone so I thought I'd give this a shot. Found some nice large drinking straws. I initially filled up an entire straw and was going to cut it after the silicone hardened inside. The issue with this is it would take an awfully long time and I wan't sure the center of the straw would ever set. So I cut the straws in approx 1" lengths. Set one end of the straw against a surface (in this case an old cardboard box) and fill. This can get messy. Tip the straws over on their sides to dry, otherwise you'll have to cut them away from the surface as the silicone will seal itself to it!

I gave them about a week to dry and voila! They are completely dry all the way inside and they really GRIP that pin! All in all, I was able to get approx 130 or so for less than $10 Canadian. So worth the bit of effort to make. Beware, you may have to do a few at a time as that caulking gun is hard on the hands!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing this great idea
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    From the picture it looks like you left them in the straws? Very clever!

Clever, clever, clever! I just might try this as there are times when my R.A. fingers all but refuse to close safety pins. Got to keep quilting.

Yes I left them in the straws. I had originally intended to just use the straws as molds, but changed my mind.

#1 - I figure the straws give the silicone extra stability
    #2 - why give myself the extra work of trying to pop those things out? I'm far too lazy for that!

What a great idea! Those things are so expensive!! Thank you

Great idea. I have also bought cheap erasers at the dollar store and cut them in small pieces. This works well to hold the pins securely

Quote Originally Posted by glorcour View Post
    Great idea. I have also bought cheap erasers at the dollar store and cut them in small pieces. This works well to hold the pins securely
    Another good idea! THanks

Terrific idea!

Maybe I'm a dummy (today anyway), but what are they used for?

Ear plugs work great. Where my brother worked he had to use earplugs. He always had extra in his pockets when I went to wash his clothes. I kept them and when the kids sew I use them so they don't get stuck.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Put them on the end so if you need to put the project away for a short time, when you go to reach forit, you won't stick yourself. Many use them for just pins when pin basting.
    Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post

I bought some of the pin moors and I made some using white erasers cut into 1/4 x /1/2 inch pieces. They don't roll which is a definite plus. I find pins go into them as easily as the pin moors.

I "made" mine by cutting up strips of foam insulation into small pieces. Just have to be careful not to push the pin in too far.
    ​Jumpin' Judy

I read a tip somewhere that cutting up a wine bottle "artificial" cork also makes an acceptable "moor". Took a class once where the instructor said she never uses safety pins when sandwiching her quilts, always straight pins, because they're faster and easier to remove when you approach them. I'm going to try that on my next quilt.

Never heard of a pin moor before. My pins seem to stay in my quilts just fine on their own. If the quilt won't be sewn for a while, I use safety pins.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for this GREAT idea! I have wanted Pinmoors . . . but cringe when I see the price! This I can do!

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Never heard of a pin moor before. My pins seem to stay in my quilts just fine on their own. If the quilt won't be sewn for a while, I use safety pins.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who had no idea what a pin moor was. My pins also stay in my quilts on their own.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Don't feel bad; I didn't know what they were either until it was explained; have never heard of them so of course have never used them. I would have asked BUT have learned to read the entire thread because seems someone else always asks what I was going to ask; no sense in the redundancy.

What a great idea! I'm going to try it!
    Rilène

Blog Entries
    GENIUS.... ABSOLUTELY GENIUS. Thank you for sharing and I'm passing the info on to other quilters.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Replacement erasers for mechanical pencils can also be used--just but into smaller lengths.

Love this idea! Thanks for the picture tutorial. I think I can do this easy enough.

I wonder if the hot glue sticks would work too?
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-01-2017 at 09:28 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

You are so clever!!

Quote Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
    My question too....never heard of them...I gather they are used to open or close safety pins?.if so....I was told to use the back of a spoon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast