Old 08-25-2017, 06:13 AM
Sewnoma

Question Ideas for covering a tabletop with some sort of film?

I have a new sit-down LA that comes built-in to a table, and while I'm seriously in love with the machine itself I'm not thrilled with the table top. It's the only table available for this particular machine, so getting a different table isn't in the cards.

The top has leaves to expand the size, and I plan on keeping it expanded to it's full size (36x77) but I hate the gaps and ridges left by the leaves. The table is not manufactured very precisely, so there are gaps that tend to catch on my rulers. I've adjusted it as best I can and it still bothers me.

I'd like to cover the entire table top with some sort of thin film that would help cover up and handle those gaps and ridges and give me one solid smooth surface. On Amazon I've been able to find automobile vinyl wrap sheets that would be big enough, but I have no idea how slippy or grippy that surface might be, and that's obviously pretty important that it be slippy. I'm also not sure I want to permanently adhere anything to the surface, in case I either don't like it or decide to sell the machine someday.

The film has to be thin as possible - there's already a ridge around the stitch plate and I don't want to make that worse, so ideas like putting a melamine veneer on it are out. Covering up the stitch plate isn't an option either - I have to open it to oil the machine every time I use it, and that's also where the stitch regulator sensors are.

My best idea so far is to use regular ol' contact paper - the texture would be fine and the thinness and the way it'll come off later are perfect, but I've done that before and I know it shrinks with time, leaving sticky gaps between rows and I know that'll drive me crazy. I really prefer one BIG sheet to cover the whole table top, and I can cut out a rectangle for the stitch plate.

Anybody have any brilliant ideas for me?

I'm tempted to have someone custom-build a whole new table for me, but that'll cost a lot more than I have to spend on this right now. It's just too bad, the machine is so brilliant and the table is just not up to the same standard.