Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Ideas for covering a tabletop with some sort of film? >

Ideas for covering a tabletop with some sort of film?

Ideas for covering a tabletop with some sort of film?

Old 08-25-2017, 06:13 AM

Question Ideas for covering a tabletop with some sort of film?

I have a new sit-down LA that comes built-in to a table, and while I'm seriously in love with the machine itself I'm not thrilled with the table top. It's the only table available for this particular machine, so getting a different table isn't in the cards.

The top has leaves to expand the size, and I plan on keeping it expanded to it's full size (36x77) but I hate the gaps and ridges left by the leaves. The table is not manufactured very precisely, so there are gaps that tend to catch on my rulers. I've adjusted it as best I can and it still bothers me.

I'd like to cover the entire table top with some sort of thin film that would help cover up and handle those gaps and ridges and give me one solid smooth surface. On Amazon I've been able to find automobile vinyl wrap sheets that would be big enough, but I have no idea how slippy or grippy that surface might be, and that's obviously pretty important that it be slippy. I'm also not sure I want to permanently adhere anything to the surface, in case I either don't like it or decide to sell the machine someday.

The film has to be thin as possible - there's already a ridge around the stitch plate and I don't want to make that worse, so ideas like putting a melamine veneer on it are out. Covering up the stitch plate isn't an option either - I have to open it to oil the machine every time I use it, and that's also where the stitch regulator sensors are.

My best idea so far is to use regular ol' contact paper - the texture would be fine and the thinness and the way it'll come off later are perfect, but I've done that before and I know it shrinks with time, leaving sticky gaps between rows and I know that'll drive me crazy. I really prefer one BIG sheet to cover the whole table top, and I can cut out a rectangle for the stitch plate.

Anybody have any brilliant ideas for me?

I'm tempted to have someone custom-build a whole new table for me, but that'll cost a lot more than I have to spend on this right now. It's just too bad, the machine is so brilliant and the table is just not up to the same standard.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I would look into the clear table top plastic that comes on a roll. I have a store that carries all different thicknesses for going over fabric table cloths. I would get a piece big enough to go over the whole thing and under about 3 inches and tape it under the table. You could cut a hole where you need it and maybe put painters tape around the opening so nothing catches. Some Walmarts also carry it on a roll but you could check Joann's or similar as well.

p.s. A plastic shower curtain might work as well?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:48 AM

I purchased clear plastic from a roll at JoAnn's to cover the table cloth on my table so newsprint doesn't get dirty.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:16 AM

I thought about the clear vinyl but I think it's too grippy for what I need. I do ruler work on this machine, which means I'm pressing down on the ruler to keep it in place, so the surface has to be as slippy as possible to help make up for all that friction caused by downward pressure.

I probably have enough at home I could try it for part of the table and see, but I feel like it's going to be too rubbery.

Shower curtain might work though....I hadn't thought of that.... Some of those are pretty slick feeling...
Old 08-25-2017, 12:42 PM

The vinyl I use on my table is pretty sticky. Nothing slides on it easily.

Last edited by gramajo; 08-25-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-25-2017, 05:29 PM

I've seen fabric that was recommended for raincoats that might work. I think Connecting Threads has carried it in the past, but I didn't find it on their website just now. Maybe I'm using the wrong search term. I think its some kind of laminate.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:49 AM

Tartan read my mind...I was going to suggest that also. You could wrap the edges and staple it underneath the table.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:52 AM

Would a plastic table cloth with felt backing work for you? You can get a cheap one from Dollar General or buy it by the yard at JoAnn's. Inexpensive to replace when needed also.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:23 AM

[QUOTE=Sewnoma;7893952]I thought about the clear vinyl but I think it's too grippy for what I need. I do ruler work on this machine, which means I'm pressing down on the ruler to keep it in place, so the surface has to be as slippy as possible to help make up for all that friction caused by downward pressure.

I probably have enough at home I could try it for part of the table and see, but I feel like it's going to be too rubbery.

If you have some spray furniture polish, do a test spot to see if it might make the vinyl slippery.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:45 AM

The clear plastic is a good idea. I use the thickest one to cover a styrofoam machine bed I had DH make so my material would glide over it easier. I also have a machine bed made from a rigid plastic sheet you can find at the home inprovement stores but you'll need to have someone cut it for you and since it will be higher than your machine you will have to either cut small pieces to put under your machine to raise it up or use cardboard to raise it up.