View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 04:47 PM
peaceandjoy

If you are happy as you are, there is nothing wrong. Perhaps others are not as content as you are and feel a need to fill their time with "running" so that they can't really think about how they feel. Your peace may make them uncomfortable because they can't relate to it.

A friend and I joke that we'd both be happy to be hermits. We see each other once a month at quilt guild, and that's about it. Occasional e-mails, never phone calls.

DH is very active in Rotary. I've made it very clear that I will not go to any more of their dinners (every few months, they have a dinner where most members bring their spouse or significant other). I tried going, was miserable. After a few times, I asked that he not make me feel pressured to go. After a few rounds of that not working I told him plain and simple that I was not going.

I do have friends, and sometimes we get together, but as a general rule, I prefer to be alone. Hate shopping with others, traipsing around stores/malls browsing. I want to get in, get whatever I have to get, and get out. Guess as I've gotten older, making others happy has become less important!

All of the above said, if one isn't really happy with their situation, they are the only one who can change it. DH has a sister that is miserable - to be with, to talk to. She complains about everyone and everything. Yes, she is alone - but she is not happy. There's a big difference.