Old 08-28-2017, 06:30 AM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
First of all ... should you be reporting this back to the dealer?
Did you see the table set up before you bought?
Was that table acceptable?
I did see this same table set up at the dealership, and it seemed fine playing with it there. I noticed the gaps but didn't think anything of it. I think it's one of those things were I just wasn't focusing on it very clearly; 90% of my attention was on the machine itself. But now that I'm living with it, I'm noticing things I didn't notice any of the times I played with it.

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Because of the size of the extended table, I am guessing that you bought the Bernina sit-down.

There are different tables available for it ... but your dealer may not be selling them.
The dealership near me has a beautiful table ... solid and very much like a dining room table!
Everything is very straight and smooth, that I would not foresee the problems that you have noted.
I did get the Bernina Q20 - and I have been under the impression that this is the ONLY style of table available! I know it comes in different colors/finishes, but not a single dealer I've talked to about this machine has ever indicated there were options in table style as well, and I "shopped" this machine at expos for 2 years and have probably talked to at least 5 different dealers!! But I never specifically asked, either.

I don't suppose you know the name of the "other" table, or the model number or anything like that? Are you sure it's not the same table but without the leaves? Without the leaves there's just one seam down the middle and it's not nearly as gappy as when the leaves get added. I also can't find any reference to another type of table on any of the Bernina sites...could it be a custom build of some kind??

A different (better) table would be the ideal solution. I like the large size of this one, but those gaps drive me a bit bonkers.

I shopped around online all weekend and did find some "instant granite" self-adhesive "countertop" that sounds a lot like super thick contact paper, designed for budget kitchen makeovers. The reviews make it sound like it's pretty durable stuff and it's supposed to come off cleanly. And it's much wider so I could cover the entire top with just one strip. But I'm still holding out for a better solution, if I can find one.