Old 08-31-2017, 12:47 PM
Sewnoma

Oh, no, I think you are seriously over-estimating how attractive these samplers are! It's the ugliest/cheapest/worst fabric from my scrap bin, and I've gone mad on some of these things, layering patterns on top of patterns on top of patterns because I'm being "thrifty" and not using a fresh sandwich when I want to try something else.

Some of them I've just plunked fresh scraps on top and roughly topstitched it down and then added more quilting on top. We're talking weird shapes, exposed edges...just awful.

I would feel bad to donate these to anybody. Terribly ugly things. "Great to stick under the cat's face when he starts to hwarf up a hairball" kind of ugly!

I will find uses for them around the house, though. I collect and fix up old sewing machines - these will be good for catching excess oil and kerosene as I work on them, and for protecting my bookshelf when I'm storing them as they wait for their turn in the "hospital". And some of the larger samplers I'll probably make into a sleeve and stuff with scraps for the cat. He won't know it's not a real quilt!