View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Jennifer23

Thanks so much for all the suggestions - I have a lot more to think about now. You've given me lots of great ideas that hadn't occurred to me; I feel a lot more inspired now!

Also, a huge thank you for all the very kind complements. I created the pattern myself. I had seen the cover of Simply Triangles by Barbara Cline online somewhere, which has a very similar quilt. I didn't remember where I had seen it, though, and spent months looking for it, until I gave up and decided I had dreamed it. I've been working on this quilt on and off for almost 3 years, and just a couple months ago I saw the book cover again on Amazon. I want to buy it, just to see if her piecing method is the same as mine, but haven't gotten around to it yet. At least I know I'm not crazy now - I spent months describing the cover of the book to every quilt store employee I could find, and nobody had ever seen it!

It's been a real love-hate thing working on this quilt. If you're into statistics, the basic block here is an equilateral triangle made up of three smaller strip-pieced triangles. There are almost 300 y-seams at the centres of those blocks (I'm really good at y-seams now!). I didn't know much about designing quilts when I started, so there are 12 seams coming together at the centre of each star, and just over 55% of the fabric is in the seam allowances. There are dozens of fabrics in it - I didn't keep count, just bought every blue-green batik at every store I went to for years. I figure I have enough leftovers to make 20 or 30 more quilts in this colourway, although I really don't want to look at them now! (okay, that's an exaggeration, but at least 2 or 3 more).

I will definitely post more pictures when it's done. I need to figure out how to get the colour a bit better; it's actually navy at the edges, not black, and all the blues should be a bit bluer.

Thanks again for all your help!