Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - how would you quilt this? >

Help - how would you quilt this?

Help - how would you quilt this?

Old 10-04-2017, 07:20 PM

Default Help - how would you quilt this?

I've been trying to figure out a quilting pattern for this since May! Now the quilt show is barely three weeks away, and I really need to get it done, but I'm still completely undecided.

I think I want the quilting to emphasize the piecing (my piecing skills are much better than my quilting, so I want the quilting to take the back seat). My original plan was to ditch around every stripe, but I now think I would go crazy doing it. For reference, the stripes are 1" wide, so the stars are about 11.5" across point-to-point.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581740[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails star-quilt.jpg  
Old 10-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

As usual, I would just do FMQ, meander, or large stipple. I don't enter any quilts in fairs or shows. I just donate to kids.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

Gorgeous top! I think I might use my walking foot and do a diamond crosshatch SITD following the diamond shapes in the stars. You could always come back later and put more quilting in after the show

Last edited by Tartan; 10-04-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

You could SITD, but not necessarily every ditch. Your quilt is beautiful, stunning, exquisite!
Old 10-04-2017, 08:03 PM

wonderful quilt. How about doing spiraling outward stars--start in center with smaller ones, then increase size as you go out. I'd line them up, but so that they spiraled out (does that make any sense??). I think it would highlight the star blocks and also the movement of the quilt. It's just awesome. Whatever you do, please post when finished!!
Old 10-04-2017, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
wonderful quilt. How about doing spiraling outward stars--start in center with smaller ones, then increase size as you go out. I'd line them up, but so that they spiraled out (does that make any sense??). I think it would highlight the star blocks and also the movement of the quilt. It's just awesome. Whatever you do, please post when finished!!
this was my first thought too ..as you describe or do spiral. start around center star & spiral out ..sort of an eliptical orbit. this is incredibly beautiful quilt! you are sooo talented! and i agree with quiltingshortimer ..please post pic after quilting completed!!!
Old 10-05-2017, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
You could SITD, but not necessarily every ditch. Your quilt is beautiful, stunning, exquisite!
What she said!
Old 10-05-2017, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

i would emphasize the stars with SITD with just a couple in each star. beautiful quilt! is there a pattern name?
Old 10-05-2017, 03:52 AM

I think I would SITD around the outside of the stars and maybe around the middle smaller star if you need that for the batting requirements. It would emphasize the piecing.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:55 AM

I would stitch in the ditch only around the star that is whole (the one that is just below and to the right of the center of your quilt in the picture). Then I would simply echo around that one star until the entire quilt is quilted. That would be very easy to accomplish in the time you have available and could either be done FMQ or with your walking foot. You would end up with concentric echos around that one star and as you got further out, your echoed line would run off the edge of the quilt, so you wouldn’t have to worry about the binding interfering with a pattern. Also it would have the effect of being an all over texture that would reinforce the shape of the main star and also the spiraling out effect of the pieced pattern without overwhelming the rest of your lovely piecing.

Rob