View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 08:08 AM
bkay

Default Brown Singer Treadle?

An elderly friend's home in the country was burglarized recently. They stole her grandmother's treadle sewing machine, a prized possession (along with everything of value, including a tractor and all the copper plumbing out of the house).

She's reached the age that she no longer thinks clearly, so I'm not sure I have the right info. She's told me previously that the machine was purchased in the early 50's. Her grandmother had always sewed on a treadle, so she didn't want an electric. (Her grandmother made gorgeous quilts.) I saw it a year or so ago, but it was in the cabinet and had a TV on top, so I didn't ever see the machine itself. It looked like a Singer treadle like my grandmother had.

She called me yesterday about the theft. At that point, she said the sewing machine was brown. Does it seem reasonable that the machine was brown? I can't think of a machine that would have been available in 1950 or so, in East Texas, that would be both brown and a treadle. (I thought I might try looking on Craigslist and those kinds of sites for her machine.) I think maybe she meant the cabinet. I'll see her Friday and can clarify that, but I'd like to start looking now. It means a lot to her.

I had questioned her in the past, and was sure it wasn't a 15-88. I assumed it to be a 201 or a 66, which would be hard to prove one owned, but not a brown treadle. Any ideas about the possibility of brown treadle?

bkay