Brown Singer Treadle?

Old 10-11-2017, 09:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CountryKath View Post
This thread made me have to go back and look at a machine I saw on Boise Craigslist. It is more white than brown but goes to show that newer models can be treadle machines. I am not sure if this one is original or adapted - at $85 I'd love to go find out but my DH would not approve. [ATTACH=CONFIG]582085[/ATTACH]
That's a 1960s machine in the straight leg treadle. Could be original.

Cari
Old 10-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

I have a White brand treadle head in brown. My mother referred to just about any old machine as a Singer whether or not it is a Singer. It is possible it could be some other brand. It could have been “refurbished” and a crinkle finish was put on it.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:15 PM

My 301 is tan and I believe it was available or could be converted into a treadle.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:22 PM

She asked me to find her a treadle machine recently. She had a photo of the sewing machine, but the cabinet was closed. I asked her about the machine, whether she wanted a drop in bobbin or the other kind (and held my hand upright). She said upright. I found it for her. She changed her mind, though.

It was a beauty. The guy had not yet refinished the cabinet. It was stripped with I saw the photo. I told him she wanted a 15. He sent me some beautiful photos. The 15 was pristine. The refinished cabinet was really nice. (If I knew how to get photos off my phone, I'd post them.)

So, this is like what I think her Grandmother's machine looked like and is what the Guy offered.

bkay

https://winner.americanlisted.com/ar..._28981729.html
Old 04-07-2018, 03:37 PM

Weird thing to steel though? I read this post when it was new last year and thought it might be an aluminium 201. They arent' very common but they came as treadle and hand crank. The came in all beige and a two tone brown and beige. Mine is electric in a simple cabinet. I think there were a beige version similar to the 15 like this, it had the CB occilating hook, but the tensioner were in front like on a 201. It's even rarer than the spoked wheel 201s, at least around here.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:06 PM

I'm sure she's talking about the cabinet or irons. The 201 aluminum is not common here. I've never seen one, even for sale.

We're going to spend Wednesday together. I'm going to show her the photos of the machine the guy sent.

She just had one of her tops quilted that she made years ago. She's anxious to show me. I'm anxious to see it. It's in her favorite colors. It's a Texas star. That's appropriate for someone who's a 7th generation Texan.

She's a delightful woman.

bkay
Old 04-07-2018, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by AbbieS View Post
My 301 is tan and I believe it was available or could be converted into a treadle.
Me thinks you believe incorrectly. Never available as a treadle and only be converted with major damage to machine. Look again at your 301.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:11 AM

belt driven machines can be converted to treadle very easily. She may have purchased a modern machine, prefered the treadle and switched the heads out.

Sad story. Happened to my great aunt too.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
belt driven machines can be converted to treadle very easily. She may have purchased a modern machine, prefered the treadle and switched the heads out.

Sad story. Happened to my great aunt too.
No, her grandmother specifically wanted a treadle. She had always sewed on a treadle and did not want to change. The grandmother bought it in the early 50's. My friend remembers her grandmother buying the machine.

My 15-91 was "born" in 1948, so a 15 treadle was certainly available at that time.

I've always assumed the irons were new in the 50's. They don't look like the old irons. Skipper said the steel irons were brown. I've never actually seen the irons that were made of steel. I've only seen the cast iron ones. I guess I didn't pay any attention to them, just assuming they were all the same until my friend showed me the photo.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 04-08-2018 at 06:16 AM.