Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Some help please on Singer 15K88 >

Some help please on Singer 15K88

Some help please on Singer 15K88

Old 04-05-2018, 12:29 PM

Default Some help please on Singer 15K88

A Singer 15K88 has been offered to me but the motor doesn't work and wiring is shot- they told me it has a belt that needs to be replaced, too. Going back a few months, I rescued a Cinderella sewing machine and the foot pedal/wiring was replaced. So I don't need the 15K88 as another big project. However, I also have a 15-91 that has a striated face plate. Would the scroll face plate from the 15K88 fit the 15-91? I am thinking it would but have searched the web with no definitive answer.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-05-2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-05-2018, 02:00 PM

It would, but in my mind it's wrong to snatch the older plates just to place them on the newer machine. The striated chrome plates were introduced around 1950 and sort of belongs there

The earlier 15s tend to have nicer gold decals, even the simpler ones, with more of a clean shine. The later decals often looks a bit like yellow paint. Either way, people build, rebuild, scavange parts, refinish, etc., but if the 15-88 is in nice conditon I lean towards keeping it intact. There's plenty of worn 15s to pick appart.

I think the 15-88 with the stitch length lever can be rebuilt with the potted motor parts as well. When you have rewired a motor once, it's considerably easier to do it the second time. It's not a very big project, but I would set aside a couple of hours for it since the motor might as well be cleaned and regreased. A belt driven motor isn't nearly as much fuzz as a potted motor, just remember it probably takes different size carbon brushes and grease wicks.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
A Singer 15K88 has been offered to me but the motor doesn't work and wiring is shot- they told me it has a belt that needs to be replaced, too. Going back a few months, I rescued a Cinderella sewing machine and the foot pedal/wiring was replaced. So I don't need the 15K88 as another big project. However, I also have a 15-91 that has a striated face plate. Would the scroll face plate from the 15K88 fit the 15-91? I am thinking it would but have searched the web with no definitive answer.
I would do it if I wanted to. Don't forget that round plate on the rear.

There are thousands of these repairable machines being trashed/recycled every day. No one wants them. Not many people sew anymore. Many who do sew want the newest, latest, fastest, most decorative stitching machine they can find. They thread themselves, they cut the thread when you stop, leave the needle down or up, whichever you choose and remember your favorite recipes. Who can blame them?

If you want to use one to decorate your 15-91, I say go for it. There's not much demand for a 15-88.

Of course, I'm one of those heathen beings who would buy a red featherweight if they weren't so expensive.

bkay
Old 04-05-2018, 03:42 PM

Expensive is the word, the new machines with all the built in features are not low price; wide zigzag, built in upper feed, auto thread cut, just isn't worth it for many, perhaps even most people. There's quite a lot of hobby projects where a sewing machine is an advantage, that's why I bother about mentioning the old cast iron models. The belt driven models are worth it too. Very few invest in a top model, or special model for quilting, industrial or anything like that. It's usually later on when the interst has had a chance to develp, even then some keep one of these in regular use. For less than almost any new machine you get an endlessly more capable one. I don't mind a red Featherweight too much either, but take one that's worn and beaten up, not still in nice condition.

Last edited by Mickey2; 04-05-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:07 PM

Thanks, Mickey2! You have been very helpful as I hadn't thought of the timing. One was made in 1949 and the other in 1951. Guess I will decide if I actually take the 15K88. The motor that was on it doesn't appear to be a potted motor like my 15-91. It is more square in appearance at least on the pictures that were sent to me. Will get more info. Thanks for all your input.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:11 PM

Forgot to add: The motor was removed from the machine and the foot pedal is just that- a pedal- no wiring attached. I am still looking for a manual for 15K88 to see what kind of motors were on these things.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
Forgot to add: The motor was removed from the machine and the foot pedal is just that- a pedal- no wiring attached. I am still looking for a manual for 15K88 to see what kind of motors were on these things.
Does it still have the spoked wheel? If so I would probably turn it into a hand crank.

http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...95a1cf7e70.pdf

http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/motors/

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:27 PM

Now I just got picture of the back of the machine. The only wiring is from the electric light that is attached on back and that wiring was disconnected from the motor... maybe??? I am a novice at this machine preservation but I love these old Singers. Easy to maintain... So OurWorkbench, you have a great idea. I also have a beautiful oak treadle cabinet with a tattered old Sphinx... just maybe??? hand crank or treadle or put a motor back on? You all have been great! Thanks so much.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:34 PM

What if he he/she doesn't want a hand crank? We all have our biases. There are things that really interest us. For some, it's the development of the sewing machine (Steve). For others, it's the hand crank machines (Leon). I like mid century machines. Some people are really into treadles. Some people like what's old. Some people like Brother sewing machines (Cari). Everyone has their favorites.

Although I bought a hand crank yesterday, I have no desire to keep it. I figured I'd find a home for it, and it wouldn't go to the metal recycling center.

I would suggest that we encourage people to get and keep sewing machines that they enjoy whether they are red featherweights or 15-91s with 15-88 faceplates. There are more than enough to go around. No matter how many we manage to save, hundreds more will go to the recycle center or the dump. We can't save them all.

No one collects 15-88s, unless they have some special emblem. There is nothing special about them. The technology is not interesting. If you like 15s, you probably want a 15-91 (or have two or three). I think he/she ought to do what they want to do and try to sell the 15-88 with the striated plate, or donate it, or recycle it.

JMHO

bkay
Old 04-08-2018, 01:26 PM

Picked up the machine and cabinet/stool today. First, the hand wheel is solid, not spoked, ruling out 15-88 and 15-89??? It came with a 15K88 manual and a 15-91 sewing manual- yes both. But I think it is a 15-90 because the motor that had been removed from it looked like the 15-90 and not a potted. No internal wiring. It seems that 15-90s did have the scroll face plates. Anyway, now to decide what to do with the machine. But the biggest, exciting part of this is the cabinet- No. 42 Art Deco dark with the 3 right side drawers and 1 left side drawer with the Bakelite inkwell jar intact. It is in great shape with just some wear where the tops fold inward. The stool's wood has been cleaned but along the front and back sides under the seat there seems to be some kind of textured covering. Guess more research before I go ripping it off. The seat definitely needs to be recovered. No tears but I think it will smell better. Will post pictures tomorrow when the lighting is better.