View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 01:12 PM
RST

I don't see it as an argument. I was hoping to have a conversation with people who have a different perspective and different values and priorities. I have never been a competitive person, and I've never entered a judged contest -- it's simply something that I don't understand. If I were arguing, I would be using a very different approach, but I don't really have any interest in arguments on the internet. I do value an exchange of different perspectives, and on some occasions I have learned from others here, as well on other sites. Apparently this is not a topic on which I will gain any insights from you all, which is too bad -- for me. Interesting that a) you talk about internet board exchanges with your husband and b) that you presented it as an argument, when it really could be read as a conversation with hopefully give and take of insights and opinions and experiences.

Peckish -- I never said that competition is evil or wrong. I simply was sharing that I lack any interest or experience in competitiveness, which is why I am curious for a better understanding of people who are. I would like to understand the thinking and mindset of a person who goes to the fair, enters their work, and is upset with getting a blue ribbon because other people also got blue ribbons.

I don't watch the Olympic games, and I've never sat through an entire football game, so I could probably ask the same questions in circles where those are enjoyed activities, but they probably wouldn't be parallel insights, given that quilting is a personal expression and skill set, as opposed to a team or nationalized viewership sport.

Scrabble has a high element of chance, so winning doesn't mean that I'm better or have a better vocabulary, it just means that in that instance I was able to assemble the letters more advantageously, and to be honest, most of the time when I play I don't even keep score -- it's just having fun with words and letters and passing time with a friend.

What was your other example? Business competition? Hmmm. Are business practices in any way relevant to a discussion about quilt judging? Not sure that I follow without added information of where you are going with that.

Cashs mom -- in my world, a happy stitchy day is a good thing. I was wishing you the best, but apparently you didn't choose to see it that way?

I'm off to sew another quilt and have myself a very happy stitchy day. Alas, still unenlightened and in the dark about competition and its whys and wherefores. . .