View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 06:44 PM
quiltingshorttimer

I teach a water wellness class at a local medical center--most of us have "old bones" and replacements (knee, hip) or back surgery. We use the curriculum from the Amer. Arthritis Assoc. Do get up from sewing at least once per hour (or if standing, sit down!) I cringe at retreats when I see people sitting for hours on end, even with their little tables and irons. Everyone has given great ideas. I'd add that standing and swinging your leg back and forth will help those hips, and tilt your head to the L & R--slowly, as if you were laying your ear to your shoulder--but keep shoulders level. Also tuck your chin to chest and then relax. Another is to hold arms bent with elbows waist high and palms parallel to the floor and swing your palms so that your elbows are "touching" in back--really helps the shoulders and back. And check out local hospital/medical centers/community centers for water wellness classes--you can do so MUCH more in the water than dry land! I could not walk without these classes and now that I'm teaching 8 hrs a week I feel great!