View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Tothill

My two bits:

No to tile floors, unless you are putting in heated floors. Heated floors are lovely, a friend has them in her kitchen and bathroom (her house is on a slab) and they are nice and toasty. But everything that gets dropped on them breaks, or cracks a tile.

I put vinyl plank floors in the main bathroom about 15 years ago, they are only now showing a bit of wear. I like that the vinyl is soft underfoot. One day I will gut the entire basement put in a subfloor and lay down vinyl planks.

I have oak hardwood, original to the house (51 years old), upstairs, living, dining, 3 bedrooms, hall and foyer. It needs refinishing, but is in great shape. I have 5 pets, dust bunnies galore, and it is easier for me to sweep than vacuum.

There is one basement room with carpets, it is the family room and on a slab. We put down carpet when the kids were little and it helped make the room warmer. We had a flood 14 years ago and it was replaced. The 'new' carpet has been a pain, it is a Berber type and the critters claws catch in the loops. It will go when I redo the basement.

I grew up in a house with 4 flights of stairs 3x8 steps and 1x16 steps. It was my job to vacuum them. I decided when I had my own home I would not have carpets on stairs.

I do have rugs inside the doors to catch the worse of what gets tracked in. I do not ask guests to remove their shoes.