Carpet or wood laminate?

Old 11-13-2017, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
Just a thought...I heard a Doctor say that the #1 thing he recommends for seniors (I don't know if you are one, but we will all eventually get there) is CARPET in their home. If you fall, less happens to you if you fall on carpet vs. a hard floor. Personally I would have laminate in the high traffic areas and carpet in the bedrooms :-)
Totally agree!!

Another thing that he didn't say (or did he?) .... area rugs and mats on hard floors are dangerous.
They look nice, but can become safety hazards.
They can be too easy to trip on the edge of them, or slide on a light mat.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:08 PM

Gosh, you all have valid points, and good examples. I need to consider the falling possibilities. Haven't had an issue yet (knock wood ...er...laminate...) but who knows what next year will bring.
One thing I wondered about with the laminate is the way it feels to walk on it. I would rather it didn't go "slap slap" but we have a basement under the house, and possibly the sound may somewhat depend on what is under the floor.

I would think it would be hard to beat Pergo. I love the look in the pic you posted, leighway. That's what I had in mind for how it should look.

I hate to make decisions.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:10 PM

I also have foot issues and was told years ago by my podiatrist to wear Birkenstock shoes. There are wonderful brands of shoes to help yours.[/QUOTE]
I wear Birkenstocks with the soft footbed... they are wonderful
Old 11-14-2017, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I love carpeting but my husband loves wood. He put 6 inch wide cherry in two rooms. They're gorgeous but I find them a pain to clean. So he does it!
I have oak flooring in my kitchen, tile in the foyer, and carpet in the other rooms and upstairs. i find carpet a lot easier although with pets it can be harder.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
We are getting ready to do some remodeling on our 35 year old house. It still has the original vinyl and carpet. (ugh!) I want to put tile or slate in the kitchen and laundry, but the living/dining area has me stumped. Also hallway and stairs.
We have a dog. We have grandkids. I have rheumatoid arthritis, in my feet. Sometimes I can hardly walk barefoot. We live beside a gravel road, and a mile from a sand mine, so there is lots of dust and grit coming in the house.
What are your thoughts on carpet vs wood laminate? Cleanliness vs comfort? Allergens vs dust? Grit scarring floor vs destroying carpeting? I'm not worried so much about resale value. It's for our comfort.

I am pretty sure we will be getting a Roomba, so that is something to consider, or not worry about.

I love the look of wood flooring, but love the comfort of carpet. ??

This year I got rid of all the carpet in my home and put a wood look porcelain tile, which I purchased at Lowe's for a great price. I love the look and it is so easy to keep up. It doesn't show the dust.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:25 AM

I hate my tile! It can't be swept without dirt staying I the grout lines. I have to vacuum it to get it totally clean and it is cold and hard. I highly recommend the wood plank vinyl for ease of cleaning.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:23 AM

Granite in the bathrooms, indestructible, easy clean, carpet on stairs hardwood everywhere else with an inexpensive rug in the lounge area which I replace yearly. Two German Shepherds aka German Shedders, I wear birkenstocks in the Summer and an old pair of Uggs in the winter, I have arthritis. This set up suits us perfectly, I would not go back to carpet everywhere whilst I have the dogs as the dog smell definitely lingers in carpets.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:38 AM

I love your German Shedders comment.

I have 5 pets and although they are all under 20 pounds, they all shed profusely. Good thing they bring so many benefits to my life.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

I love the comments about the Shephards and Cathy's about next year hahaha
Yes. along with all the love, our furkids give us lots of hair!!!