Thread: Shopping Habits
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 10:56 PM
Tothill

I have made few online fabric/sewing/quilting purchases in the last 10 months. I ordered a dress pattern over the weekend, it is from an indy pattern maker that has good reviews. I cannot buy it locally.

I do buy other things online, but that has cut back considerably since my trip in May.

Overall I am spending less online. I have purchased fabric locally probably $600 worth, and attended $800 worth of workshops. On my trip I bought about 500 Euros of fabric too.

I am seeing more and more online retailers and also seeing some leave the business.

I did check Fabric.com for the stretch velvet I wanted for my dress. It was inexpensive, but I have to pay exchange, the fabric is heavy so shipping is higher. I decided to buy it locally when I found some in a colour I loved on sale.

Things that lead me to different online shops, great free tutorials. A Facebook presence that does not send me the same add multiple times a day. Recommendations from friends. A local lady told me about Connecting Threads, I have since bought kits, fabric and thread from them (about 2 years ago). There was one mistake with an order, but they quickly made it right. Told me to keep the 'wrong' fabric. It was a wide backing, but in a fabric I would never use, I donated it for charity quilts.

Personality is hugely attractive for me. There is one lady who has great tutorials, but there is something about the tone of her voice that reminds me of a disapproving school teacher. I skip past her videos.

Has your friend contacted any marketing companies to see if they can track down why her business is going down?

The international economy is not great and there once again is the threat of war with North Korea. Political uncertainty in the UK, Spain, Myanmar, some African countries make for a tightening of belts.