Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping Habits >

Shopping Habits

Shopping Habits

Old 11-13-2017, 07:29 PM

Default Shopping Habits

I have a friend who has had an online fabric store for 15 years. She has lots of variety in fabric and her prices are very good. She said that she has seen a steady decrease in buyers and revenue since March of this year. It makes me wonder if people are beginning to move away from online shopping? Or doing less shopping in general? I'm trying to puzzle out the reasons for the trend she's seeing and wondering what your thoughts might be.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:53 PM

I don't know about others but I went to the quilt expo here and didn't buy a thing. Didn't see anything that grabbed me
Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 PM

I'm seeing less that yelling out to me to take home.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

I have spent years accumulating - and now that I have - I wonder what was I thinking!

Therefore, buying fabric - unless at a yard sale for 50 cents a yard - is not a big deal for me any more. And even at those types of prices - I have become a lot more selective about what I bring home.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:24 PM

Well, for one thing (but it's a major deal for a lot of folks) is the state of the current economy -- I am on a fixed income (Social Security), so my income is very limited. I don't buy a great deal of fabric, and the older I get, the less I buy. I do not buy fabric online -- I need to be able to see it and feel it before I spend my money. Perhaps that's old fashioned, but that's the way it is. I don't see that changing any time soon, if ever. In most households these days, there's just not enough "disposable" income, or income that's not required to provide for life's necessities. I suspect that's the biggest factor. I don't make a large number of quilts -- I have spinal problems, so I'm limited in what I can do. I wish your friend great success.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:26 PM

For me, it is time I am able to quilt, the projects I am doing, and the current budget drive what I buy. As far as on-line vs brick & mortar stores, I really can't explain how I choose where to buy.
Mike
Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 PM

I'm thinking the current push to minimize has caused some to take a look at accumulated stash, fearful of being labeled a "hoarder". Cleaning out some of my stash has been my goal .... not always successful, but a goal no less. I wonder if others are experiencing this also.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:07 PM
Power Poster

I think the older quilters are trying to use up their stash. I only buy now if I need backing or something to go with what I already have.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Power Poster

There are still plenty of fabric consumers out there. There's been an uptick in places to sell your stash online... such as the many Facebook pages for it. Even real fabric stores are using these pages to move out their clearance fabrics. The price range that seems to sell out the fastest is from about $3 a yard (less attractive, older fabrics) to $6-7 a yard (more current attractive fabrics).
Old 11-13-2017, 10:56 PM

I have made few online fabric/sewing/quilting purchases in the last 10 months. I ordered a dress pattern over the weekend, it is from an indy pattern maker that has good reviews. I cannot buy it locally.

I do buy other things online, but that has cut back considerably since my trip in May.

Overall I am spending less online. I have purchased fabric locally probably $600 worth, and attended $800 worth of workshops. On my trip I bought about 500 Euros of fabric too.

I am seeing more and more online retailers and also seeing some leave the business.

I did check Fabric.com for the stretch velvet I wanted for my dress. It was inexpensive, but I have to pay exchange, the fabric is heavy so shipping is higher. I decided to buy it locally when I found some in a colour I loved on sale.

Things that lead me to different online shops, great free tutorials. A Facebook presence that does not send me the same add multiple times a day. Recommendations from friends. A local lady told me about Connecting Threads, I have since bought kits, fabric and thread from them (about 2 years ago). There was one mistake with an order, but they quickly made it right. Told me to keep the 'wrong' fabric. It was a wide backing, but in a fabric I would never use, I donated it for charity quilts.

Personality is hugely attractive for me. There is one lady who has great tutorials, but there is something about the tone of her voice that reminds me of a disapproving school teacher. I skip past her videos.

Has your friend contacted any marketing companies to see if they can track down why her business is going down?

The international economy is not great and there once again is the threat of war with North Korea. Political uncertainty in the UK, Spain, Myanmar, some African countries make for a tightening of belts.