Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping Habits >

Shopping Habits

Shopping Habits

Old 11-13-2017, 11:32 PM
Power Poster

I find I have so much fabric and patterns I have put aside to make "someday" are becoming the next "to do" project on my list. I see many older kits for sale on line, but, to me, I have to love something and feel it is new in some way.

The other reason I think is people are making the modern type quilt patterns and they are not detailed enough for my taste. Especially when it comes to buying a pattern for it. They are too easy to figure out on my own.

Lastly, fabric prices are outrageously priced now if you ask me. I remember buying rayon velvet for the price they are asking for cotton these days.

It has to be something that I love, detailed enough to make me want to buy the fabrics and pattern. The store on line has to have a great reputation before I shop there.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:40 AM

The lack of sales may be due the site itself. How did she determine her sales were down? Dollar amount? number of sales? repeat sales? What is she doing to attract repeat sales, new customers?

Is the site kept updated and easy to use? If a site is cumbersome to navigate or takes a while to load, I will bypass it for another one.

How easy is the check-out process? Is there an ongoing marketing"grab" to keep customers coming back? It's all about building her marketing plan. Are the prices in line with other LQS and other online sites? Are the photos of fabrics a good representation of the actual fabrics?

What products does she offer? Tutorials? Patterns? Free items?

Just because you have a site, does not mean people will come. You still have to market and get it "out there". It might be time for a re-do of the site. There are companies that can help with the layout, buttons, and set-up. It just depends on what the owner wants to make of it.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:05 AM

I have scaled back on my buying since I retired. I do still buy online, though I love to actually go to a quilt store.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Hmmm...... I buy quite a lot online. I have my favorite sites and lines of fabric so I know what I'm getting. Shipping is a big thing with me. I won't pay a lot for it. I frequently get free ship. I don't frequent quilt shops like I used to.
Also- I have a stash, as most of us do. I am now buying specifics mostly- something that I just love, or something I need. I guess I don't shop the way I used to afterall.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:19 AM

The only fabrics I have bought online were vintage calicos from etsy. As a general rule I don't like the brand new style of fabrics and the prices are too high for me. I also like to touch the fabric before I buy, so online stores are fun for browsing but I never buy from them. Shipping is always a big detour-ant for me too; it can sometimes cost more than what I am buying and I live in the US. I hope your friend can get her sales up.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:02 AM

I'm similar to SusieQOH
- I do buy online but it is for specific fabrics or hard to find ones to complement projects that I'm making with my stash or for specific styles of projects.
Prices have climbed alot the last few years and that also can be out of my budget so I don't frequent the LQS as much as I used to and I am relying more on my stash.
Hope your friend has renewed success with her business.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:54 AM

competition from new sites coming on line every day. The surging of big sites like Connecting Threads and Missouri Quilt Company has to be pulling a lot of shoppers away from the smaller sites.

Since she has a specific month when sales started going down, She should think about SEO (Search engine optimization) has lagged or changed in a way she is coming up much lower in searches.

Why not give us the link and let us critique it, in a kindly way
Old 11-14-2017, 07:11 AM

Coupons, sales, drawings etc can all help keep customers coming back. And as annoying as it is for us to always be receiving "junk" emails from these quilting websites, it also reminds us that they exist, and when we need something we remember to check them out along with the "big" sites like Connecting Threads and MQSC.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:17 AM

I think the market is going to online sales. She may see a downturn due to the competition. Whenever I look for something new I first try the local store then head online. She might need to update or rethink her publicity. Retail continuously changes.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:48 AM

I find I do not buy as much anymore -- using my stash which is out of control. Only for specific projects and only online when I want something that I can't get at a local fabric place....such as NFL fabrics that I am making Christmas ornaments for kids this year. I am trying to be more practical and less impulsive!