Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling Items at a Quilt Show or Crafters Event >

Selling Items at a Quilt Show or Crafters Event

Selling Items at a Quilt Show or Crafters Event

Old 11-13-2017, 08:33 AM

Default Selling Items at a Quilt Show or Crafters Event

I noticed the lovely toppers that a member had made for a charity benefit and was asking about selling prices.

If these items were sold in a Quilt Guild boutique at an event attended mostly by quilters and crafters or at a Christmas bazaar with a similar clientelle, how would you calculate the selling price?

I was asked to make a number of items for 2 events - one in December just before Christmas and one in February. I'm a bit hesitant to participate fully as in the past I found that many handcrafted items do not typically sell well when the event attendees are 90% quilters, sewers and crafters. There are usually lots of "lookers" & "inspectors" but few actual buyers. I feel many are looking for ideas of items to make or feel that they can easily make it for much less than the asking...... LOL tough crowd to sell to.

So how do you price items or market them at such an event so that there are sales that will benefit the group that is hosting it?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

Are the proceeds of the sales to be donated to the group?

or

Are the proceeds of the sales to be kept by you?

In some cases, if the proceeds of the sales are a donation to the group, it is a lot less effort to write a check for the cost of materials and call it good.

I think it is reasonable to charge at the very minimum the replacement cost of materials used in the items.

Speaking for myself - I am among those "lookers" and "inspectors".

Sometimes I am willing to pay for a pattern/instructions - if not for the completed item.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I agree with your assessment of hand crafted items not selling well. If it were me, I would tell them that I was flattered by their interest, but just make a monetary donation.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:51 AM

I helped a friend at a craft fair, double sided aprons with embroidery sold for $25.00, bowl holders $6.00. Other items were $5.00 for a placemat.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:37 AM

I belong to a ladies craft group at church. We sell items that we have made. Whenever I make something to sell, I consider it a donation by me and let someone else price it. That way, it is priced according to what someone is willing to pay not, what I want for it. If it is priced too high, it can always be marked down to sell before the end of the sale.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:57 AM

I would agree that quilted items are probably not going to sell that well at a Quilt Guild show where most everyone there can make the same thing themselves for less money. Maybe kits to make things or patterns would sell, I don't really know. I would think that quilted items would sell better at craft shows. I would also gracefully decline and make a monetary donation.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:00 AM
anonymous

I feel like the public has no idea what sewing costs. I can rationalize my time, but not losing money too by under-pricing my supplies. Who would do that except for a charity?? I recently did one craft show and I even had people try to offer me less, like it was a flea market. Instead of being insulted, I just decided no more craft shows.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:17 AM

one of my quilt guilds has had a boutique at two different shows--a regional one that was attended mostly by quilters and a local that draws quilters AND community members. The regional show did not sell many items like crib quilts, table toppers, etc that quilters look at and think 'I could make that cheaper', but we did sell quilter t-shirts, pin cushions, small zipper bags and larger project bags, thread catchers--in other words items that quilters use to sew & quilt but don't want to take the time to make themselves (bowl pot holders were the exception). At the local show we always sell many items that people are looking to use as gifts, such as crib quilts, table toppers, receiving blankets, etc. I think it really depends upon the crowd that the craft show draws--if it's many non-crafters then you'll get higher prices (at my church bizaare i can get twice the price of a wall hanging, table topper, etc that I can at the quilt show).
Old 11-13-2017, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

What I found at craft sales is presentation is 95% of the sale. Eye level items get customers to come closer. Items that can be seen from across the room be it a quilt, banner, or picture is the best. That is why the quilt markets emphasizes the booth set up for sellers. When I have one table to use in a space I put one or two of each item on the table. The rest is in bins under the table to replenish or find a different color. I use table stands for every item, draping the larger ones over them. I use the brightest table cover and have the scent of chocolate using a warmer under the table. I have a bowl of chocolate kisses so the customers won't be disappointed by the scent and not get chocolate. LOL I have two tall table clamps on each end of the table holding a bright bold banner with the name of my booth. My booth usually sells all the items I bring. It's a lot of work but if you are going to do it, do it right.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

I recently attended a seniors craft show with many sewn items for sale. I did buy some very pretty embroidered kitchen towels and an handmade felt ornament I liked. It is true I really like to look, but, honestly, I try to think just how much work goes into the items I buy and just go for it. If it is for charity or seniors why not?
I also like the idea of putting a kit together to sell. I would have liked that and bought one. Are you allowed to do that? I also like the idea of making pincushions, sewing machine covers or quilt bags for take along. I think they would sell like hot cakes if they were in sewing themed or related fabrics.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 11-13-2017 at 11:23 AM.