Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Shopping Habits >
  • Shopping Habits

• Shopping Habits

Old 11-14-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz
    Well, for one thing (but it's a major deal for a lot of folks) is the state of the current economy -- I am on a fixed income (Social Security), so my income is very limited. I don't buy a great deal of fabric, and the older I get, the less I buy. I do not buy fabric online -- I need to be able to see it and feel it before I spend my money. Perhaps that's old fashioned, but that's the way it is. I don't see that changing any time soon, if ever. In most households these days, there's just not enough "disposable" income, or income that's not required to provide for life's necessities. I suspect that's the biggest factor. I don't make a large number of quilts -- I have spinal problems, so I'm limited in what I can do. I wish your friend great success.
    “Disposal income” has dropped like a lead balloon for retired people since 2008. They were getting about 8% on their hard earned savings, then the rate dropped to under 2%. That’s a 75% decrease at the same time living expenses go up. Ouch.
    Old 11-14-2017, 08:35 PM

I do shop online--but have a sizeable stash and am trying to do more with it--so often my online purchases are to go with the stash. I like well organized sites, that let you search by color and type of fabric, that tell you who the designer (if name brand) and manufacturer are--this let's me know about the quality of the fabric. I also want a good picture with something in the picture (i.e. ruler) to let me see the print repeat size. A secure site is a must--otherwise I won't use it because of computer hacks. When I shop online it's either because I need a certain fabric for my project, or the price is fabulous. Getting free shipping over a certain purchase amount is helpful too. And service needs to be great. I also shop at a couple of LQS, one I do LA samples so we trade. while I will often just delete (when I know I don't need anything or my monthly budget is bust) getting an email update from the seller is important and it needs to be lots of pictures. She might try vending (I know it's a hassle)at some shows to build a clientele list for emails, etc.
    Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 PM
    Power Poster

Lately I have gotten bored with new fabric lines.
    Old 11-15-2017, 03:31 AM

I'm just Not shopping.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-17-2017 at 06:07 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
    Old 11-15-2017, 04:19 AM

My sister-in-law came for a visit from California and we went fabric shopping. I purchased quite a lot that I can use on current or upcoming projects. Bottom line, I just don't have room for more fabric. I did get a great deal on some patterns at $.50 each.
    Old 11-15-2017, 04:37 AM

I've only bought three times on line. I don't like using my credit card on line. My card has been hacked either at the dr's office or at the lab. It went to Minn., Wisc., and Canada without me. This is why I don't buy on line.
    Old 11-15-2017, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Lately I have gotten bored with new fabric lines.
    Ditto that.
    Old 11-15-2017, 05:08 AM

Although I buy most of my fabric online I always take into consideration the cost of shipping - if it is not free I pass - most of the larger online shops offer free shipping once you spend a certain amount. I have been trying to shop my stash as well - often have no idea what I already have.
    Old 11-15-2017, 06:31 AM

Like many others, just not shopping as much for anything..........period. I don't need more stuff and have lots of stash. I live in the country so have done most of my fabric shopping online, but have tried lately to limit it to fabric that goes with what I already have for a project, like backing. I still buy, just not nearly as often or as much. DH and I are also to the age we are trying to get rid of things we don't use anymore: less to clean and less to store. Cancer this year has made me reevaluate my priorities and get going on UFOs and PIGS. I have enough for three lifetimes! LOL
    Old 11-15-2017, 06:53 AM

There are so many online fabric stores now compared to just a few years ago that I find I tend to shop around to find the best price on a particular fabric I want. Also, I'm trying to make an effort to buy from LQS if I can to support the small businesses that are trying to make a go of it. And, like many others have said, I'm trying to deplete my stash (not very successfully!) so mainly buying small amounts of coordinates to supplement what I've already got.