Old 11-18-2017, 06:33 PM
mountainwoman

I've only been quilting for going on three years now, so I do not have much of a stash. I tend to buy fabric for specific quilting projects, and I buy brands I like: Moda, especially, Kaufman Metallics, Hoffman, Wilmington, Marcus Brothers -these are some of my favorites. I just finished piecing a top and backing for a reversible quilt featuring acoustic and electric guitars; the fabric designs (background is black) are perfect for the lap quilt/throw I am making as a Christmas gift for my son; the fabric is by Timeless Treasures, and it turned out to be a joy to work with. I had never bought this brand before, but the reviews I've read are really good. I shop almost exclusively online - I buy from Fabric.com, Hancock's of Paducah, Jordan Fabrics, and Fat Quarter Shop, primarily. The closest local quilt shop to me is not convenient, as I do little driving, and my favorite brands are not carried there; even if they were, the prices are just too high for my retirement-driven budget! I tend to buy material for borders, sashing, and backing from Joann's; I've found their "quilt-quality" fabric to be acceptable for these purposes. I also have found some acceptable fabric there for my charity quilts, and I can find some acceptable flannel for children's rag quilts. There is always a sale going on, so things usually work out.