Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be Honest With Yourself (& Us)-Where Do You Actually Purchase Your Fabric? >

Be Honest With Yourself (& Us)-Where Do You Actually Purchase Your Fabric?

Be Honest With Yourself (& Us)-Where Do You Actually Purchase Your Fabric?

Old 11-23-2017, 09:05 AM

I live/sew/quilt by this simple ideal:
If if is 100% Cotton (for quilts & some apparel) good quality for other sorts of sewing projects) and feels good in the hand, I will use it.

I have been active in the sewing world for about 50 years. I saw the decline & end of secondary level public school access Home Economics classes (and the resulting difficulty) in finding/receiving the necessary training to basically sew for most anyone. I was lucky enough to enroll in a community college for one of the last offered professional sewing courses in my early 20s. Which led me to enter the fashion world for pay during most of my working life. Before the industry moved overseas for the most part.

The ability to sew and quilt in a professional matter using just basic rudimentary equipment like Straight maybe Zig Zag stitches only mechanical single lock stitch sewing machines, simple inexpensive notions, and techniques was the norm in the garment/soft furnishing sewing rooms & studios. The fancy stuff and the finer end of the sewing world is very nice, but completely out of my reach now. It is one's knowledge and skill which makes the critical difference of any given project starting with fabric selection. Pricing in of itself does not necessarily guarantee quality. Or the sewing centers/fabric stores" overly cute gimmicky decorations. That is the secret which the fashion sewing industry does not want to get out in public!

If you keep that thought in mind every time you sew, your projects will be successful!

Last edited by Iona D.; 11-23-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Iona, I am curious...you state you are in yearly production of some quilts but you don’t give them as gifts? Do you keep each of your quilts?
I was thinking of & referring to the actual sewing time frame I am somewhat restricted to. I live in Los Angeles CA. During the summer (and even right now in late Fall), it could get very hot. During the hot parts of the year, I am limited to just selecting/purchasing mostly remnants-bolt ends-clearance fabrics, from which I chose my favorite colors/patterns or solid, design my usually patchwork top, then pre-wash, sort and bundle the fabrics sets together into waiting plastic bins for temporary storage-though sometimes it might take a long while to get around to a given fabric.

The actual production of cutting, sewing and trimming/pressing does not happen until the temperature is below 80 or so degrees F. Simply since my living/working space does not have A/C and can be very uncomfortable to work in. I make at least a couple of rag quilts (my favorite quilting style & speciality) a year. The ones that don't survive my 2 miniature pinschers are recycled into dog/cat bedding anyway. That's why I stick to medium level Joann's 100% cotton flannel fabrics.

I will leave a couple of photos of my 2 little devil dogs and decide for yourselves.
Attached Thumbnails iona-sorina-2.jpg   iona-peeking-her-quilt-final-photograph.jpg   iona-tucked-into-bed-close-up-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Iona D.; 11-23-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:14 AM

In signing off this particular thread, I am expanding these thoughts further and onward on another thread with the free documentary, The Rag Quilt Project Documentary. Go to the new thread for the direct link to this wonderful little over 20 minutes video! You will appreciate what you have to work with no matter what you have or know about quilting/sewing!

The Rag Quilt Project Documentary-A Must See!

The Rag Quilt Project Documentary-A Must See!

Last edited by Iona D.; 11-25-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:51 PM

I too have a stash that is too darn big--so I usually make sure I use some of that fabric then, I buy the "go with 'ems" as my mother used to say. In general, I check JoAnne's first, then go to my LQS. In general, I do make sure to buy from the LQS as often as I can afford to do it...I know the truth is that if we don't support them...they don't stay in business...and frankly JoAnns' fabric isn't great quality.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:00 PM

both the web stores and my LQS, just came back with enough fabric for large quilt, black Friday prices, great!
Old 11-25-2017, 05:30 PM

As a general rule, I try to frequent area LQS's. With that said, however, I'm really blessed (or maybe cursed?) because there are SO MANY here in the Carolina's. We actually have three different "sets" of Shop Hops - one for the western parts of NC/SC, one for the Central (Piedmont) section, and one for the Coastal areas. Each hop has between 13-18 shops. So, I have several that area either close by, or on my daily commute to work.
I also have a Hobby Lobby and Joann's in my area.
Then you have to also know that I have Mary Jo's (aka "Quilters Heaven") and Foust Textiles (a wholesaler that does "open to public" twice a year).

Occasionally, I buy online as well. But I try to frequent my LQS's so that they can stay in business.

The source does not determine what I make from the fabric, nor does it determine who gets the resulting quilt.

I have two grandchildren ( 3 years old and 18 months) and both of them have 3-4 quilts each already. Family members have several quilts.
I usually try to have "extras" on hand, especially baby quilts or children's themed quilts, for unexpected gifts.

And while I would be upset if someone gave one of my gifted quilts to their dog, I don't care how they use them otherwise - picnic, everyday, or whatever. I gifted them to be used. Most people who get one of my quilts are aware of the work and expense involved in quilting, so I seldom find my quilts in the dog's bed.
One that was gifted to a friend for her new baby, only lets him play with the quilt in such a way that it stays pristine (it's a "5 Little Monkeys" embroidered quilt). He loves it, and has learned his first 5 numbers and many colors from it. He's 6 now, and the quilt is still in like-new condition.
As a contrast, I made my very first quilt for my daughter when I was pregnant with her... and she uses it now for her baby girl. It's showing it's age and wear and tear, and I may re-do the binding when I'm there at Christmas. But I know that BOTH quilts are very well loved.

Sometimes, I have a particular pattern in mind for a particular person, so in that sense, the fabric is specific. But otherwise, it's just whatever pattern I like in whatever colors I like.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:56 AM

I buy fabrics at online quilt shops, my local quilt shops, GoodWill & thrift shops. I usually buy when there's sales over 30%. I make mostly scrappy quilts, so I get up to 3 yards at a time, then only need to buy backing for quilts when it's time or make them reversible.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:56 PM

Starting Nov. 27th all regular priced merchandise will be 45% off. Fat
quarters are $1. There are other fabrics, books, and patterns marked down
more. Mon- Fri 10AM to 4:30PM Sat 10AM to 1:30 Carol Trumbull The Sampler Chariton, Iowa. Closing her shop and retiring. That is when I love to shop. So sorry to see her close her shop; loved shopping there.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:17 PM

The Sewing Studio Fabric Superstore in Maitland Fl.