View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 10:26 AM
elnan

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Believe it or not - I do darn (by machine) small holes in the toes of adult size socks.

I will replace buttons - I even fix/reinforce the spot where the button will go it if it needs it.

Sometimes I will patch the jeans that have holes in the knees - it's a safety issue.

I will sew a seam that has come undone.

I will shorten some things

I will not replace zippers or fix something that won't hold the stitching because it is so worn out.

Do any of you still do mending/repairing?
Yes, I do most of those tasks, but have not darned the toe of a sock by machine. I recall how disappointed I was to find that the "free-arm" sewing machine I had lusted for was no better that anything I already had. I have lengthened the sleeves of many coats and jackets by saving and sewing heavy sock tops as cuffs. No knitters in my family, so tried to wing-it with darning socks. I was reminded of what a friend said. Her husband insisted that she darned and sewed blisters into his socks. I might as well encapsulate a small stone over each worn spot. When my kids were growing up and out of their clothing, they were known for the machine applique on everything, easier to cover a hole than darn it.