Old 11-26-2017, 03:58 AM
Battle Axe

Report from Battle Axe's trip to the quilt auction.

There are two quilt auctions and one quilt sale in my immediate area. The sale is now held in conjunction with the Shipshewana quilt show and seminars...And get this: Jinny Beyer will be there this year in June. This sale is held at the Honeyville Church about 8 miles from Shipshewana.

One of the quilt auctions is going great guns usually 300 items listed, but the other one (yesterday) had 99 items and just a handful did not sell. Most of the quilts were large 105 + x 110 +. They were well done, but nothing that would bring big money. I really feel sorry for the makers as I know they lost money.

The good ones (not tops but finished quilts) brought $225-$375. Highest one was $410.

He announced that there may not be an auction in March, where there usually was a March and a November. If they don't get enough quilts for March, they will hold them over for November. There were 27 bidding numbers given out. Two older men, looked like store owners, bought the majority.

I bought a marked whole cloth top for $25.00, Rose Bud pattern.

I come away from these events depressed. I work hard on my quilts, but I am so sorry that they are not worth more than what they will bring at auction.

The other auction in the area has a much bigger following and I have seen quilts sell for $1500.00 at that one, but that is the high and not the average. The average there is probably $400-$450.