View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 10:43 PM
Tothill

I love taking classes. I will check out the other sewing machines, but it is not in a 'who's got the best' way. I am just interested in what people sew with. Last weekend there were 3 Janomes and 2 Phaffs.

At one quilt shop when I have taken classes, everyone else seems to know each other, but that is ok. Sometimes I am slow, sometimes I am quick, sometimes I am stumped. Last weekend I took a class, it was expensive and small (5 students), but I learned quite a bit and completed my top. I also was able to help a couple of my classmates, when they got stuck as I had more general sewing experience than they did. I learned how to work with 45 degree diamonds and sew a halfway decent Y seam. Ok the last 2 of 6 Y seams looked ok, the other 4 may have an embellishment on them. I also got some great advice on colour placement.

I left my machine for my friend who was hosting the workshop, to use to finish her quilt as she did not have a walking foot for her machine. She also wanted to make another top and was having a challenge with her 1/4 inch seams on her machine.

I love to get up during a workshop and see what everyone is working on and how they are getting on with their project. I am in awe of how the same project can look so different when made up in different colours.

I feel sad for those who do not feel good enough at a workshop. Remember everyone started not knowing how to sew and builds their skills over time. Just because someone's skill is more advanced than yours, does not make you inferior to them. I have learned that asking the more advanced quilters for help, or suggestions is a great way to break through any high school clichés.

I am not a fast sewer, I rarely finish a project in a class, I do not go into a class expecting to finish it there, but to finish at home. I go to learn new techniques. I have learned that although I love YouTube videos and Craftsy lessons, I learn best in person when I can ask questions.