View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 01:20 PM
madamekelly

The only sewing class I have attended was given at a local fabric shop many years ago, and I found there as not enough give and take. There was a severe “Do it my way” attitude, and no room for creativity. I am incapable of doing the exact same thing as everyone else. I guess that is what makes me a fabric artist not just a “quilt maker”. There is nothing wrong with being a “quilt maker” but that is not me. If I want exactly what someone else has, I can just pay for something mass produced. That is not, and never has been, my style. I can’t even buy a piece of furniture and use it in the “right” way. I always have to make it mine. I think that may be a feature of my OCD. I much prefer being able to watch a video and pausing as needed to make sure I understand what comes next. I have a real issue with having something exactly like anyone else. (I even wear shoes that have giant orange flowers on a black background, even though I have no orange clothes.) I can accept that people see me as strange, since they said the same things about Eleanor Peace Bailey, she is one of the most influential artists in my world. I liked her philosophy “create what makes you smile”. My whole world makes me smile most of the time. I can’t even hang curtains like everyone else, half of mine are mounted about 12” below the top of the window frame, effectively giving me “skylights” to make the room brighter.