Old 12-02-2017, 05:08 PM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Nice geese, Sync... and I'm loving the Singers!

NZQuilter, consider looking for a 301 rather than a featherweight or 99. They are the first 'Slant-O-Matic's that Singer made, so the visibility and access to the bobbin are really great. The best thing about them is that they are gear-driven machines, much stronger than belt driven machines like the FW and the 99. You get way more bang for your buck. The 301 is only 16 lbs, just 5 lbs. heavier than the FW. They have a fold down handle in the top of the arm to carry them with. If you are lucky enough to get one in a cabinet, they have a quick release lever that lets you pick them right up out of the cabinet. A 99 weighs about 30 lbs. They are heavy little suckers.

I see 301's most commonly at Estate sales, which is where I got both of mine. I paid $50 for a perfect one in a cabinet with a bench full of tools and stuff. The second one I paid $25 for, in a lovely cabinet. It needed new cords so I got it for cheap at the end of an estate sale. Check your Craigslists and estate sales!

I've been making my 100 geese all day, and will take a photo as soon as I finish trimming.