View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 09:52 AM
ND Quilter

Yes, I have had those days! I hope I can help. I just got done doing some Christmas stuff after not using the embroidery module for months and trying to remember all the steps is tough!

First of all, be sure you have your dongle in the computer or the Bernina software will not open. When I do that, I get a message that says "Security device not found." I have a Bernina 440 without embroidery and a 640 with embroidery. I also worked at a Bernina shop for 8 years, so I have had to solve some of these same issues for customers. (My understanding of the newest Bernina Embroidery Software is that it does not use a dongle but I don't have that software yet. What I have is working and I don't want to get frustrated.)

If you are using the laptop with the "Bernina Embroidery Software", you should find a icon of the sewing machine on the computer screen that will say "Write to machine". You will have to hover your mouse over the icon for the words to appear. I know that works with the 640.

But I think on the 440, you have to use a different program called "EZ on PC" to transfer the design to the computer. I know "EZ on PC" doesn't work with the newer Windows operating systems, but I'm not sure how far back it does work. I remember trying to get a 440 to embroider was often frustrating. Sometimes I got it to work and sometimes it wouldn't work no matter what I tried. The fact that you used it recently, it should work as long as you have not changed computers.

Make sure the cord from the computer is connected to the sewing machine. I remember, one time we had a machine that worked yesterday and would't work the today. We found the cord that went from the computer to the sewing machine failed. We found that by trying a new cord and everything worked fine.

If you are using the computer that is connected to the sewing machine by a cord, the designs have to be in ART format. If your designs are on a USB stick, the designs have to be in EXP format. However, the 440 does not have a USB slot on the machine. If you are using Bernina software, its easy to change the format. Just open the design in "ART" format and do a "Save as" changing the format to "EXP" format.

I know this had a lot of information and a lot of ifs but I hope I've given you some things to check. Good Luck. If you need some more information, please ask. I don't know anything about the Babylock software.