View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Macybaby

I struggled with tension issues for quite some time. I have an HQ fusion, and a Bailey before that. Never had tension issues with the Bailey. I really struggled with the Fusion, and am finally feeling like I've got it worked out.

1. I have to make sure the sandwich is quite loose on the frame. I usually have it snug and then back off 2-3 notches. I have to make sure I don't have it super snug side to side, or I'll have tension issues in that direction.

2. Turns out the five bobbins that came with the machine did not move smoothly in the bobbin case. Found this out when I bought the Towa Gauge - when pulling out the thread, the tension would bounce around between 100 and 300 - no wonder I'd have good tension and then a spot of bad tension and then good again.

3. I'm not good at telling if I've got things adjusted correctly. Installed a digital readout on the machine tension and have the Towa Gauge, so now I'm not guessing at where the tension is. I also never get the "lefty loosey, righty tighty" think correct.

4. I've been having increased problems the last 3 months, and this weekend it was getting really bad. Discovered a wad of lint behind the shuttle that was in affect pushing the bobbin case out a fraction of an inch. Just enough so the top thread did not slide over it nicely, so I was increasing my top tension to overcome it. So now I know to watch for that if I start having tension issues.

I also learned I was winding my bobbins too tight on the winder. I was using my Singer 15 to wind bobbins with the Bailey, and went to the winder with the HQ and was getting them too tight, in effect stretching the bobbin thread so that also added to uneven tension.

Last edited by Macybaby; 12-19-2017 at 02:19 PM.