View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 10:15 PM
JustAbitCrazy

I have all kinds of pins, each in their own pincushion or taking up half of a pincushion. My super thin pins have all been really sharp and have stayed sharp through heavy use. If you want thin pins, do not just believe the printing on the package where it says "very fine", instead look at the fine print where it tells you the thickness of the pin. Many times it will be 0.5, which is not a super fine pin, but the package will say "very fine" or something similar. If you want super fine pins you want it a bit thinner than that. Look for the yellow and blue glass head Clover pins that say 0.4 thickness on the package. These pins look exactly like the ones they sell which are 0.5 thick, and I've never seen them at JoAnn's, only at some quilt shops and bigger quilt shows. Those are the bomb for piecing! They don't distort the fabric when you pin and are so thin you can sew right over them. Most of the time if the machine needle hits one of the pins (sew a bit slower over the pins) it will just nudge that super thin pin over. Once in a while I hit one dead on and the pin just gets bent at a ninety degree angle by the machine needle, and I throw it away. But your sewing machine will be undamaged. For a longer really thin pin, you can buy all blue flower head pins at some JoAnn's, which are 0.45 thick. The flower heads are dark blue on one side and light blue on the other side.