View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 09:48 AM
lfty298

Hi Gottfried
Re the biggest U.S. quilt shop, I really don't know - but many of the famous ones have been mentioned here. I would like to suggest a bit of a change in plans. Instead of a single quilt shop, please consider one of the major quilt shows. Two that quickly come to mind are
Paducah Ky - AQS - spring 2018
Houston Texas - Quilts Inc - November 2018
You can find them online - and I am sure other folks have many other suggestions. I live in Philadelphia - which is not a huge quilting area, but we do have 2 big shows every year. One in the spring in Lancaster Pa (AQS) which I think is pretty big - but I have never been to that one. The other, which I almost always get to is PNQE -(Mancuso) Sept 2018. It is considered a mid size show but it is close to overwhelming for me.
What they all have in common are: hundreds of awesomely beautiful and original quilts on display, vendors from all over the country selling fabrics and notions (from pins and needles to $5000 cutting tables) and many (if not all) of the major sewing and quilting machine manufacturers. Quilters often go to the shows to try out different machines before making a major purchase. They also have classes taught by internationally known quilters. The shows are typically about 4 days. The variety and number of fabric vendors alone should rival most quilt stores - even huge ones.
There are also a number of quilt and textile museums, and depending on your itinerary, they might be convenient - and worthwhile to visit. You can find them online - Lincoln, Nebraska// Paducah, Kentucky// San Diego California//
and San Jose California - are all well known, but I believe the one in Nebraska is the big girl on the block.
I am sure that whatever you choose will be a wonderful present for your wife, and thank you for posting pictures of her work.
Lefty in Philly

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-27-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: to match orig post