Old 12-28-2017, 10:47 AM
DogHouseMom

Originally Posted by tscweaves
Sue, your studio sounds wonderful, especially with the bonus of having a deck to walk out onto. Are any of your vintage machines handcranks? They can go out there with you I find it amazing how fast a space can get filled. My weaving loft is about the same size as your studio and it is full, plus I have a 10'x10' room attached for my stash and library. That area is a mess, I really need to do something different in the way of storage. My sewing room is what was my dining room, is about 15'x11' and I have managed to fill that as well. I obviously enjoy having "stuff"! LOL
No handcranks, but I do have a few treadles. I only keep one of the vintage machines set up in my sewing room, it's a 60's Janome/New Home 15 clone in cream and green in a beautiful Queen Ann cabinet. It's just too pretty, and sews too nice to not keep on hand and ready to use (but no, it's not what I'm using for this MQ).

The deck is indeed a bonus as I am a smoker, but I have never smoked in sewing room, and we don't smoke in the new house at all. So when I get stressed with a seam, I can step out for a smoke

The room is large, but I filled it fast. I still remember the first time we looked at the house, we both loved the property, my husband really loved the shop (which was very important as we run our business out of the shop), but I really didn't like the house EXCEPT for the room on the 2nd floor. I told my husband "I hate the house, but I'll agree to buy it on the condition that the 2nd floor is my sewing room". He said ... and I quote "It's too big, you'll never fill it". After laughing I said "watch me!!". Little does the man know I could easily fill his shop building (100 X 40).

The next step (other than organizing) is a big one ... the lighting in the room is desperate. The previous owners used it as a TV room so the lighting is poor. There are two small cieling lights that are offset either side of center. Neither of them are directly over *anything*. I am currently working with two standing Ott lights which I have to constantly move from cutting table to ironing board, and from sewing machine to *out of my way* to get to the cutting table. I can't even think of working on my long arm without better lighting above it. I didn't want to get the lighting done until I had all the elements in place to know where I needed the light the most.