Old 12-28-2017, 03:45 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Default anyone else "stretching" their skills with the start of the New Year?

I have 3 things I'm working on (or will be) that truly are stretching my skills.
The first is a quilted vest for my DS. I took a class with Kris Viera a couple summers ago on making fancy quilted clothing and have the 'parts' on the quilting frame right now. She recommends marking the pieces on the fabric at the next larger size and then quilting before cutting out. it is suppose to be a Christmas present and they arrive tomorrow-maybe Valentine's Day??

The 2nd "stretch" is one of those pre-cut fusible wall hangings where you just place and press, right?? Ha! while I'm super relieved that I bought the pre-cut, my wall hanging is taking much longer than I expected cause there are so many TINY pieces! I'm using a tweezers to hold some on the pieces in place! You fuse the parts on a Teflon pressing sheet using the pattern and a plastic placement sheet that you make up. then you fuse it all together on the background. once I figured out the system of placing pieces it's going faster. Would I do another one--I think so--but only if pre-cut!

My last stretch is the Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt--although I'm waiting for all the instructions to get started as thinking I'll make it smaller and maybe different colors--I have absolute NO corals! BH always makes me "stretch" my piecing skills and aim for accuracy--always something I need.

What is your "stretch" for 2018??