View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 03:07 PM
Mickey2

One of the most beloved old roses is New Dawn. Introduced in 1930 it was the sport of the (until then) equally popular Dr Van Fleet, identical in every way except for it's ability to produce a good flush of flowers later in the season. This rose is appreciated for it's pink flowers often described as pearly pink or shell pink.

I think you can trace the color back a few decades as part of a continuous trend; Elizabeth Arden boxes and containers, Dior Dresses, interiors in 1930s cars. The simplified classical buildings of the 1920s and 30s were often in pastells, this color among them. In some art deco hotells and a interiors from the 1930s this color is used.

I think the use of color springs out of these trends. Most European bicycles were black until the early 50s, a few two tone bikes can be found, but nothing like the American Schwinn models. By 1950 people were ready for more of this.

Does anyone know when Hawaii-shirts first appeared? I can easily see how the Japanese took this on and went with it, with their beautiful silk kimono fabrics and colorful ink paintings. In 1950 traditional Japanese clothing was still common in the streets of Tokyo.

Last edited by Mickey2; 01-02-2018 at 03:10 PM.