View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 08:17 AM
Veinurse

Update on 85 year old quilt. I can not thank Daylesewblessed enough!! I met her and her amazing 93 year old mother yesterday. When I picked up the quilt from the church I was surprised by the puffiness of the quilt. I was also stunned to see my husband's great-grandmother's name on the quilt! This is what Daylesewblessed and I figured out. Yes! 30s fabrics on the entire top. Batting is poly along with a woven, Scandinavian fabric. It has been tied in all of the corners. Small amout of mildew markings on one square. One small, L shaped cut in the backing. It easily can have a sleeve sewn to the back for hanging. The woman who bought this quilt died this fall after a 2 week illness. Her 62 birthday will be in Oct. I would love to honor her by hanging it then and until the churches anniversary in November.
We still have questions on dating. Our great-grandma died in 1951 but we know there wasn't polyester batting then. The pastor's wife is one of the names. They left in the early 40s. I think the top was pieced in the 30s but not quilted until 20 or so years later. Other ideas?
To meet one of the Quilting Board members was a blessing but with her background with antique quilts, preservation and dating fabrics I was beyond happy. Thank you Daylesewblessed!