Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you hang an 85 year old quilt? >

Would you hang an 85 year old quilt?

Would you hang an 85 year old quilt?

Old 12-06-2017, 09:41 AM

Is it possible to have two hanging sleeves? One could be sewn about half way down the quilt to help hang the weight evenly. Don't know how much trouble it would be to place second hanging rod properly but a thought.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:56 PM

I regularly volunteer in the textile department of our university museum. My work is sewing sleeves on quilts, most of which are far older than 85 years. Although no one quilt is hung in the museum for an extended period of time, when they are displayed, it is usually for a few months at a time. You say your church quilt is in excellent condition, so if it is not made from delicate fabrics, there should be no problem using a sleeve. In fact, that is the best solution.

FYI, when not displayed, the museum quilts I work with are rolled with archival paper on tubing, not folded. They are stored horizontally.

If the church treats the quilt with respect, as they probably do with banners and paraments, the members should be able to enjoy its beauty for many, many years.

P.S. Veinurse, I grew up on a farm about 100 miles from Fargo. I will be back in January to visit my mother in West Fargo.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:17 AM

Update on 85 year old quilt. I can not thank Daylesewblessed enough!! I met her and her amazing 93 year old mother yesterday. When I picked up the quilt from the church I was surprised by the puffiness of the quilt. I was also stunned to see my husband's great-grandmother's name on the quilt! This is what Daylesewblessed and I figured out. Yes! 30s fabrics on the entire top. Batting is poly along with a woven, Scandinavian fabric. It has been tied in all of the corners. Small amout of mildew markings on one square. One small, L shaped cut in the backing. It easily can have a sleeve sewn to the back for hanging. The woman who bought this quilt died this fall after a 2 week illness. Her 62 birthday will be in Oct. I would love to honor her by hanging it then and until the churches anniversary in November.
We still have questions on dating. Our great-grandma died in 1951 but we know there wasn't polyester batting then. The pastor's wife is one of the names. They left in the early 40s. I think the top was pieced in the 30s but not quilted until 20 or so years later. Other ideas?
To meet one of the Quilting Board members was a blessing but with her background with antique quilts, preservation and dating fabrics I was beyond happy. Thank you Daylesewblessed!