Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you hang an 85 year old quilt? >

Would you hang an 85 year old quilt?

Would you hang an 85 year old quilt?

Old 12-05-2017, 03:14 AM

I agree hang it. But in addition to hanging it for one day near the organ, I would find a place in the church where it could be displayed permanently. A Sunday school room or large meeting room? a room without direct sunlight. My church as a large meeting room next to the kitchen with no direct sunlight with lots of wall space. You didn't say how large it is but if it is a beautiful quilt with ties to the church, it should be on permanent display or semi-permanent at least.
Just another opinion for you to consider.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:47 AM

Can one of the carpenters in the church make a large easel for it to be displayed on instead of hanging it or putting it behind glass. An easel could be removed when not needed.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:18 AM

I think putting a sleeve for hanging it is the best solution. If you use clothes pins or binder clips you put too much stress on small areas of the quilt. If a sleeve is hand sewn it will not add stress to small areas. And, as for putting it in a glass frame, you can buy glass that has UV protection or you can add it to existing windows. Our house is very sunny-we had that film installed on our windows to protect the interior. We paid less than $400 for the whole main floor of the house which we thought was a modest cost.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:28 AM

I don't read that you say what the condition of the quilt. If fabric is still good then there should be no problem.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Thank goodness you are talking about a quilt
I would hang it. I see no good reason for hiding it in a closet!!!
PS. I have a lovely set of blocks hand embroidered by ladies from long ago. I plan on hand quilting it and displaying it somewhere in my house. I feel they would want me to.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:20 AM

I have my grandfathers quilt hanging in my bedroom. He was born in the 1800's, his mother made from his preschool clothing, it is on a quilt rack that is mounted to the wall, I take it down and refold it a little different and it has been on my wall for over 30 years, and the quilt is probably 90 some years old or better. The quilt is in very good condition though
Old 12-05-2017, 07:46 AM
Administrator

i don't see any reason to not hang an 85 year old quilt.

wait, though, until you are done laughing about the abbreviated thread title.
otherwise it might hang crooked.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:01 AM

Hi there, most churches in or community have older quilts hanging, but they are in a glass casing like a frame that way if people touch it is the glass not the actual quilt. I believe that would be a good ideas and the huge plus is that all get to see it and possible someone may now some history of it. Good find.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:27 PM

Thank you for all the comments. I think my next step is the church council and see if the new members will agree to the glass case. We do not have an area in the church with out sunlight so it would have to have the UV protected glass and that is what brought the cost up. So, for now the sleeve and hanging it sounds like the best option. And! No fear, no hanging to 85 year olds!
Old 12-06-2017, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
The title of this thread is longer than appears on the Recent Topics page. It shows as "[h=2]Would you hang an 85 year old"[/h]
When I first joined QB there was a title "Go Die." I thought someone was being mean, I had never heard of Accuquilt Go.