View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 07:00 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Billy, Thanks so much for the reply. I will take the bobbin winder off for a soaking. No way do I want to repaint her. With chips and all I want to leave as is. Besides I think those Sphynx decals are just way too cool. I know that repros have been made and actually found a website from Canada that has them but I like her somewhat aged look. Aside from the bobbin winder all other parts appear to move freely and the little tension spring on the top tension plates is still intact. From what little research I have done, it seems those break off alot or are seldom in tact when the machines are rescued. The treadle mechanism is also in good shape and moves very freely and makes absolutely no noise. Of course that is bound to change once I get a belt for her. The pulman is cast iron, no wooden parts on the treadle mechanism. I have found some bobbins and a shuttle on e-bay so maybe I will win the bid. If not, I found some places that sell the right shuttles and bobbins. That is good to know about the bobbins still being sold in other retail outlets. I gave the cabinet a Formsby's face lift and it already looks better. I took some woodstain to the water stains and they now don't stand out so much. The cabinet was a 5 drawer model but the top drawer rails are broken on one side. I don't think I will go to the extent of restoring the cabinet so I can have the 5th drawer. I do need to find drawer pulls though, only two are intact. 1 is completely missing and the 4th is missing the ring. But that will be a summer time hunt in antique shops. I always enjoy a good quest :) . As I have so many other things going on right now I probably won't have her up and running until late spring.