Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My new old treadle >

My new old treadle

My new old treadle

Old 02-12-2010, 05:55 PM

I have my grandmother's treadle - am going to pull it up and check the serial # so I can date it. I did make a dress on it 40 + years ago, but don't know if it works now. The cabinet looks a lot like yours.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Banned

Hi I just looked at you machine and it looks like you have your hands full but at least you have both of the shuttle plates!

This is a very common machine and it would be a perfect candidate for a repaint. I have several of them and I did repaints on most of them. Here is a photo on one that I did a "Godzilla" finish to with Blackside finished parts. I use to own a graphics company and I made up a bunch of the Singer decals and use a pair of them on it.

Your bobbin winder does not use a tire like most of them do the wheel rides on the treadle belt when you push it up to it when you wind the bobbin. You can get the bobbins at Hancock Fabrics and probably JoAnns in the notions area. They will look like barbells and come in a 10 pack or so for around $8.

I would take the winder off and soak it for a few days in Kerosene or WD-40 and see if you can not free the rascal up. You should be able to turn the wheel and it will slowly rotate the assembly. After freeing it up be sure to put a drop or two of sewing machine oil in the little hole on the winder.

This is one of my favorite Singer machines ever and you will fall in love with it once you start to use it.

Billy

Before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2957[/ATTACH]

After
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2958[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-2957.jpe   attachment-2958.jpe  
Old 02-13-2010, 06:42 AM

wow lostn51 that is gorgeous....that bobbin winder shines. LOL
Old 02-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Billy, Thanks so much for the reply. I will take the bobbin winder off for a soaking. No way do I want to repaint her. With chips and all I want to leave as is. Besides I think those Sphynx decals are just way too cool. I know that repros have been made and actually found a website from Canada that has them but I like her somewhat aged look. Aside from the bobbin winder all other parts appear to move freely and the little tension spring on the top tension plates is still intact. From what little research I have done, it seems those break off alot or are seldom in tact when the machines are rescued. The treadle mechanism is also in good shape and moves very freely and makes absolutely no noise. Of course that is bound to change once I get a belt for her. The pulman is cast iron, no wooden parts on the treadle mechanism. I have found some bobbins and a shuttle on e-bay so maybe I will win the bid. If not, I found some places that sell the right shuttles and bobbins. That is good to know about the bobbins still being sold in other retail outlets. I gave the cabinet a Formsby's face lift and it already looks better. I took some woodstain to the water stains and they now don't stand out so much. The cabinet was a 5 drawer model but the top drawer rails are broken on one side. I don't think I will go to the extent of restoring the cabinet so I can have the 5th drawer. I do need to find drawer pulls though, only two are intact. 1 is completely missing and the 4th is missing the ring. But that will be a summer time hunt in antique shops. I always enjoy a good quest :) . As I have so many other things going on right now I probably won't have her up and running until late spring.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

She is a beauty. Congrats.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:13 PM
sue

NY treadle and feline fanatic--- and any one else that is interested in treadles or old sew machines aand all that implies! Treadleon. com is a wonderful connection and information site and you will enjoy and be welcomed so much into the group(huge) and learn more than you ever dreamed about these darling ladies and their cohorts. Parts and information are available and you can take your choice. BTW just viewed your photos and you do have a choice machine and one that you will enjoy always.sewdio
Old 02-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

I have been to Treadleon and the information that they give sometimes is kinda iffy. I will say they do promote the use of the machines where as the NB is more geared to the preservation of the machines. There are a lot of very rare machines that need to be preserved correctly and never used nor altered. And they also cater to machines up to 1960 so its not just treadles.

I am a member on the NeedleBar and I know that all of the information there is very reliable and the people there are very informative and its like one huge family. The Smithsonian uses them for a lot of their own research and send folks to them all the time.

So that alone is saying something there! :thumbup:

Billy
Old 02-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LindaR
wow lostn51 that is gorgeous....that bobbin winder shines. LOL
Thank you, it took a while to clean and paint the machine but the end result was worth it.

If you like that one then you would really love my 27 that is Candy Rootbeer with 22kt Gold leaf decals on it. I have never finished putting back together yet but I have pulled it out and when it warms up a bit I will sand the clear coat with 1600 grit paper and hit it one more time with clear and the buff it out.

If I get a chance I will post a photo of it.

Billy
Old 02-14-2010, 08:23 AM

would love to see it