Old 01-17-2018, 09:22 AM
jemholo

Default Dresden Cushion - advice on how to come up with a pattern?

My son's preschool has asked if I can make a replacement cover for this cushion (we are woefully behind on our mandatory parent volunteer hours, so I'd like to try to oblige). They haven't given me measurements, but my husband picked it up today and said it's "closer in diameter to a tire than a dinner plate." I've looked for a tutorial online for a similar cushion but haven't had any luck. The current cover isn't removable, so I think I need to start from scratch instead of trying to patch it.

The top is just a dresden, so it should be easy to make a template from one of the sections on the existing cover and put that together. I'm thinking I'll make a template for the side pieces in the same way and sew the "pointed" part in for each segment, then stitch the sides together. This looks like it was made with a thinner fabric, but I'm going to use quilting fabric because it's what I have and what I'm comfortable using!

I'd appreciate any thoughts on my plan in general, and ideas on two additional issues in particular:

1. Ideally I'd like to make it removable so that it can be washed and so it can be fixed instead of replaced if it gets worn again. What would the best way be to go about this? A zipper on the bottom?
  2. Any thoughts on how to replicate the white piping between the segments? I've never seen piping this thin before. I'm thinking about just telling them that it's too much of a PITA and I'm going to do it without the piping.

TIA!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587214[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]587215[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]587216[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails cushion-1.jpg   cushion-2.jpg   cushion-3.jpg